Skip to main content

A Year on the Shoulders of Giants

I am a member of #compelledtribe. This month's blogging assignment asks us to write a reflection for 2015. 

As this year comes to a close, I am struck by how much positive I've had shared with me. It's something I hope I don't soon forget and especially as we move into 2016. 

A quick scan of my google calendar and I've found a major event for almost every month! This is on top of my work as Mom and Middle School Principal which includes a myriad of blessings as well.


Jan. 2015 - I work in an incredible district with an incredible Board of Education.  I made the transition from wearing two hats to wearing just one in the month of January. It had become nearly impossible to juggle both responsibilities well so it became time for me to give up one of them and they supported the creation of an additional administrative position. [Blog post about Changing Paths]


March 2015 - I presented in Lake Placid with my school's PBIS team about our program and school culture at the CSE Chairperson's Conference. That was a coming home of sorts as I had attended that same conference over the span of 16 years and knew what it felt like to be in that room as an audience member. It was the second year in a row that I was invited to be part of the keynote sessions. As we shared our story, it was neat to step back and truly listen to the teachers that were with me. There will always be something about that day that sticks with me. 


I was also named the NYS Middle School Principal of the Year by SAANYS. I'll never be able to thank the people that nominated me and supported the process. It was the biggest event of my professional life to date. It remains an accomplishment I share with my entire building and district. 


I'll never forget the surprise assembly my students and faculty pulled off in honor of this designation. [Blog post: Surprise!]

May 2015 - I was presented with an opportunity to meet with Senator Latimer in Albany. I had never been part of a one-on-one conversation with an elected official before and faced my (HUGE) fear of being on tape. I was struck by how genuine he was and began to think about other ways "voice" could make an impact. [Blog post: Assumptions


June 2015 - I attended ISTE in Philadelphia, Pa. THIS was the conference of all conferences. Beyond the sessions, I was able to connect to so many people that I look up to in the education field. [Blog post: ISTE Reflections]


August 2015 - I traveled to Canandaigua with Vicki Day to present on Connected Leadership.  It was a full day workshop with an entire administrative team. The positive energy in that district was inspirational! [Blog post: Impressions]


This was also the month that I became a member of New York Educator Voice Fellowship. I was questioned by a few colleagues about the program and their whispers implied there was something "bad" about the group. I decided to draw my own conclusions about the group and attended the day long workshop. During that day, I met many other educators with a passion to do what is right in our schools. The training, with NYed Voice, never told me what to say. They simply told me to tell my story. [Blog post: Exceeding Expectations]


September 2015 - I attended the NASSP event for Principal of the Year in Washington, DC. I won't even try to put into words how remarkable this event was to me and for me. I met amazing principals whose passion and energy for education lifted me. I will be forever thankful for the experience that SAANYS and NASSP provided. [Blog post: Principals Matter]


October 2015 - After a lot of work and coordination with other districts, our district hosted RICK WORMELI. It was a day long training with him. I'm one of those educators that gets seriously geeked out when I meet someone whose work I admire and try to implement. This day was no different. The best part of days like this is when we see changes being implemented or even considered as a result of the PD. We are seeing those changes in all three buildings and still look back to this day as a catalyst for improvement. 


I'll never forget Rick's kindness, support and advice. I'll also never forget how "real" he is as an educator. 

During this month, I was also offered the opportunity to present at the NYSMSA Conference. It was a mini key note of sorts and I wasn't sure I could pull it off. Thanks to the support of two of my dearest middle school colleagues, Dr. Donald Gately and Tim Dawkins, I did. [Blog post: Gathering Inspiration from Everywhere]

November 2015 - I spend most of my early mornings catching up on twitter and the news. Imagine my surprise when I accidentally found out (from a tweet!) about being named in a NAESP post as blog to read. It didn't seem possible. My blog has many shortcomings and I was beyond surprised to be included among some incredibly awesome educators. [NAESP Post]

As I scrolled through past blog posts and facebook pictures from this year, there were many moments I could have added to this post.  I struggled with writing it as I feel like it looks like less of a reflection and more like a punch card of big events. That wasn't my intent. This year hasn't been without its bumps or mistakes. I've had just as many if not more of those. 

My intent in writing this post is to conceptualize how very lucky and fortunate I have been over this past year. I am surrounded by amazing people that share their wisdom, grace, knowledge, humor and even forgiveness with me. Each and every milestone I've achieved or opportunity I've embraced, I've never done so on my own. 

It's always been on the shoulders of giants. 






Comments

  1. Wow, Lisa! This was an amazing year for an amazing person! Thanks for sharing your reflections!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sandy, Thanks. This was an out of the ordinary year. I hope 2016 is great for the both of us.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...