I was recently given the chance to deliver a mini-keynote of sorts to a group of educators. My charge was to talk about what was most important to me as an educator. I had nearly two weeks to figure out what I should say. I began to think about current influences. There were pieces of each scattered in my mind (and heart).
From all that I had been reading and digesting as of late, what was sticking with me the most?
From all that I had been reading and digesting as of late, what was sticking with me the most?
I knew I could talk about something academic but I kept coming back to all of these ideas that were not nearly as neat in my head as they are on this padlet board. (If only my mind could look that!). While I know the role of an educator is an academic one, I wanted to focus on heart first.
I found a way to weave the main parts of each of these life influences into a short essay. That essay was edited multiple times and became the talk.
That "mess" of ideas...that's how our work is sometimes. We take pieces of what we've learned and pieces of what we remember, step up to the imaginary podium and do the best we can.
Video by Tim Dawkins
And when we're done, we look back on it and realize there are parts we could definitely improve on. We sometimes even get stuck on the mistakes we made and need reminders to look at the event as a whole.
We're so quick to find fault or criticism when we should be honoring the "showing up".
We're so quick to find fault or criticism when we should be honoring the "showing up".
Sometimes, the bravest thing we do in our work is just that.
LOVE this! Amazing what showing up can accomplish all in itself! Have a great week ahead!
ReplyDeleteCraig