On a recent long drive back from Western NY, I found some time to think about impressions. I had just finished a day of co-leading professional development with an administrative group and was reflecting on what I felt went well and what areas (of mine) that need improvement. I think that kind of self-reflection is normal in all of us.
I've had the fortunate opportunity to present to different groups on different topics. Each time, I over prepare and worry about how the event will go. I think that's because I don't see myself as a presenter. I'm a principal and a Mom with a story and I know good ideas when I see them. So, I love to share what I've learned along the way as it has been shared with me.
I found myself thinking about the group, as a whole, and the impressions they gave. When you are given the opportunity to spend an entire day with a group, you formulate impressions. My impressions of this particular group were all positive. I found the group to be warm, cooperative, creative and appropriately humorous when it applied. I could see that they were professionals invested in their positions, their craft, their students, and working relationships with each other. I can't fully describe how I know that but I can tell you that I felt it. As I sat among the groups, I began to admire the positive interactions between each other. This was a team you wanted to be part of.
That made me think of my own school team. We've hosted many visitors to our school. I've been told on repeated occasions how positive the culture in our school is. It's something I never take for granted. It's also something we work hard at maintaining through various ways. Culture doesn't happen by accident or because of one person.
This thinking about impressions combined with the approaching September start led me to think about our students. What first impressions will our students have of us this year? Is it possible they will have the same impressions of us that we hope to give to each other?
Will they see us as warm, cooperative and creative?
Will they find humor and a positive spirit in our hallways?
Will they feel that we are invested in them and each other?
Will they know we care?
Will they know they matter?
Will what we create make a difference?
If all goes according to plan, our answers will be YES.
Here's to an amazing start of a new school year for my team and that amazing team out west.
If all goes according to plan, our answers will be YES.
Here's to an amazing start of a new school year for my team and that amazing team out west.
Create Something, from http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/jobs/create-something
Thank you for sharing! I hope you have an amazing start to your new school year. Students and parents will definitely know that you care.
ReplyDelete