If I'm entirely honest, I wasn't sure what to expect. I had heard about this organization on Twitter but wasn't sure what it stood for. I liked what I read about it online but wondered if it would really meet my expectations in person. Fortunately, my expectations were never met. They were, in fact, exceeded.
Nearly 40 educators were in attendance. Most were teachers. Some were administrators. All were educators. As the room began to fill and introductions were made, it began to feel different.
Over a period of two packed days of professional development, we talked about using our voice to impact change in our classrooms, schools and beyond. It wasn't a surface level discussion but rather included specific tools and strategies for storytelling, writing and meeting with policy makers.
As I met incredible educators from across New York State, I listened to their stories and compared their experiences to mine. In all cases, the physical details of our stories never seemed similar. Yet, what we had hoped for our schools and students certainly did.
We were being asked to do more than hope moving forward. We were being asked to stand up and be heard. Decide what our own critical issue is in education and stand up for it. As I spent time discussing different topics with different educators, I began to understand the real purpose for this group and for being a part of it.
It's time to communicate the good work going on in our classrooms. @Nyedvoice #edvoice
— Lisa M (@LisaMeade23) August 27, 2015
As part of my work as a New York Educator Voice Fellow, I will be completing at least two projects that require me to elevate my voice about particular issues that are important to me and my school. Some of this will be within my comfort zone and some of it won't. However, all of it will be worth it.
I'm honored and inspired to be part of an amazing group of educators and look forward to what this year will bring.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
Comments
Post a Comment