I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position.
"How long have you been there?"
"Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district."
"You do realize you've overstayed your welcome."
"What?!"
"Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that."
That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent both roles are.
When I think about shelf life and not overstaying my welcome, I think about what keeps the role fresh. Any school principal will tell you no two days are alike. They're not! I think staying fresh requires some ordering of priorities as a leader. On some days, it's easier to stack those priorities in a preferred order while on other days, you're only able to do the best you can with some of them.
I also think part of staying fresh is staying informed, pursuing progress and growing new ideas. And, above all that, there's a responsibility to sustain a positive culture. To me, culture has to be the number one preservative for administrators. When you know you have a team of players that all ride the same bus, headed to the same destination, that becomes your fuel. You might not have everyone on that bus. But, it's not the number of people not on the bus.
It's the number that keep boarding it day after day. That's where you get the fuel -- from and for each other.
It's fuel to keep on, keeping on.
No matter how long you've been at it.
"How long have you been there?"
"Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district."
"You do realize you've overstayed your welcome."
"What?!"
"Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that."
That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent both roles are.
When I think about shelf life and not overstaying my welcome, I think about what keeps the role fresh. Any school principal will tell you no two days are alike. They're not! I think staying fresh requires some ordering of priorities as a leader. On some days, it's easier to stack those priorities in a preferred order while on other days, you're only able to do the best you can with some of them.
I also think part of staying fresh is staying informed, pursuing progress and growing new ideas. And, above all that, there's a responsibility to sustain a positive culture. To me, culture has to be the number one preservative for administrators. When you know you have a team of players that all ride the same bus, headed to the same destination, that becomes your fuel. You might not have everyone on that bus. But, it's not the number of people not on the bus.
It's the number that keep boarding it day after day. That's where you get the fuel -- from and for each other.
It's fuel to keep on, keeping on.
No matter how long you've been at it.
AMEN sister! I am 8 years in at Cantiague and still going strong because I have put learning, culture and passion at the center! Our kids are my daily inspiration and no two days are the same... no way! With that being said, I have to be aware when I hit the point when I may not be able to extend the learning of those around me because that would be a disservice to our entire community.
ReplyDeleteI agree Tony. I wouldn't want to be the one to ever keep a building from moving forward. Thank you for the comment and read!
DeleteI am now in my 20th year as Principal, and 30th in the building. And Tony, you are absolutely correct. Our kids are my daily inspiration. Whatever I do it is to support my kids academic, social and emotional growth. In 20 years I have never had two days alike. I stay fresh by keeping informed. Working with staff to try new instructional strategies and programs. Always keeping my kids in the forefront.
ReplyDeleteLOVE! hearing your story. Thank you so much for sharing the comment (and inspiration).
DeleteGreat leaders make good teachers great... Even better. You do that with and for us. I always want to do better, try harder, not disappoint you... Or my students. I can't imagine our building without you. You are the heart and soul... And our bus driver :-)
ReplyDeleteAbove and beyond kindness. I think that's our greatest goal...to do the best we can for our students. Love having you on the bus.
DeleteYou see that culture is so very important when you walk in the building and see the waytour teachers treat kids first thing in the morning. Those teachers are happy to be there and happy to see the kids and the kids know that is true. What an amazing gift to have each day!
ReplyDeleteIt strikes me how much that can be taken for granted. Great points and look fors you've listed in your comment. So lucky to be connected to you.
DeleteAdministrative turnover is one of my biggest frustrations as a teacher. As long as you're doing good, meaningful work, I see no reason to leave.
ReplyDeleteAgree!
DeleteWhen a principal commits to a building, its staff, and its students, great things can happen! The administrator is part of a team working toward a common goal, not climbing a corporate ladder. He/She leads by example in student and teacher interaction, professional learning, striving for growth, initiating changes and seeing them through to fruition (or stopping them when ineffective). Thank you for staying with a job. It's like committing to a family, holding on through good and bad.
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful comment. It IS about the common goal.
Delete