I generally dislike surprises. The fear of the unknown or what might or might not happen generally makes me nervous. Without a doubt, yesterday will mark the one time an incredible surprise came my way and it didn't make me nervous.
Since being selected for Middle School Principal of the Year by SAANYS, the generosity and kindness of people has been steady and amazing. I've gotten the sweetest notes from people all over and flowers upon flowers to boot. (My office looks beautiful!)
Yesterday, my entire school pulled off a surprise that I could have never anticipated. Mind you, my son attends my school and even HE didn't speak a word of it to me.
Somehow, someway, the secretaries in my office led a highly secretive, synchronous plan to corral 276 or so children into our cafeteria for an assembly of congratulations. One of them had the idea to add cake for 300 to the event. The back wall of the cafeteria was lined with this banner.
Since being selected for Middle School Principal of the Year by SAANYS, the generosity and kindness of people has been steady and amazing. I've gotten the sweetest notes from people all over and flowers upon flowers to boot. (My office looks beautiful!)
Yesterday, my entire school pulled off a surprise that I could have never anticipated. Mind you, my son attends my school and even HE didn't speak a word of it to me.
Somehow, someway, the secretaries in my office led a highly secretive, synchronous plan to corral 276 or so children into our cafeteria for an assembly of congratulations. One of them had the idea to add cake for 300 to the event. The back wall of the cafeteria was lined with this banner.
The event began with songs by both of our amazing select chorus ensembles. Then, representatives from each grade took their turn sharing sweet notes of support. And at the end, everyone stood to dance...Kid President style.
I can not accurately describe what it felt like to be at the assembly yesterday. The cards and pictures the students made are incredible. The words they said, even more so. Students of all ages stood to share in the pride we have for our school.
And there should be pride. The students, staff and teachers in this building work hard every day. Do we make mistakes? Yes, all of us, big and little. But do we stop caring? No. I think our kids know that too. The CMS team pushes students to learn from mistakes and to become enthusiastic students in the classroom. We have our ups and downs but there are more ups and if we fall down, someone is usually there to pick the other person up.
At the end of yesterday's assembly, I told the students and staff the secret to becoming Principal of the Year: THEM.
If you work with awesome teachers/staff and add in the most amazing students ever, you've already won. Formal award or not.
We work our entire careers sometimes wondering if anyone notices anything we've done and if it has made a difference to someone -- especially our students. To be given the chance at reflection and celebration that yesterday gave me was likely the highest compliment I'll ever receive in my career.
Compliments aren't the most important thing. I know that. Yet, there are two important life lessons from yesterday's event:
1) Some surprises are okay and can become more meaningful than anticipated.
2) If you are given the opportunity to do what you love and love what you do, you are indeed blessed beyond measure.
For Good, Kristin Chenoweth
"Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good."



Comments
Post a Comment