Skip to main content

A Makerspace Thank You

Earlier this year, I wrote about our school's plan to open a Makerspace. Like any new and good idea, our plan is still a work in progress. For the last two months, I've been assisting our MS PBL/Tech Teacher, Mrs. Darcy Dunbar, in teaching an after school mini course in our makerspace. It's been fun. Our students remind us each week what the power of creativity can yield. They have the ideas. We just need to get out of their way! As part of our mini course, we arranged a visit to a more formal makerspace in a nearby school, Queensbury High School. They have created a makerspace lab they call an Innovation Lab. It is led by an amazing teacher, Mr. Benjamin Grieco.

Ben and Queensbury's Director of Technology, Matt Hladun agreed early on to let us visit. I had the chance to see their lab during EdcampUNY earlier this year and felt it could be an amazing space for some of our students to see. During the days leading up to the trip, staff in my building indicated an interest to attend as well. Each time I asked Ben if I could bring more people, he always answered yes.

Know that energy and passion you sense from an amazing teacher? We could feel the creativity and passion in the room as soon as we entered. Mr. Grieco took our students on a short tour of room and then let them spend the next hour investigating, creating, exploring, collaborating -- PLAYING. One student of ours called it preschool for big kids. It might have felt like that as it was all self-directed. 

The work our students were doing was supported by the kind " big kids" that were working in the room. I had wondered how high school students would accept "little kids" being in their space.  I need not worry. These high school students took our kids under their wing and made room for them immediately. It was pretty impressive to step back and watch.

Our students were excited to work collaboratively, creating, playing and experimenting. The energy was infectious as they demonstrated their skills and successful creations in music, electricity, 3D printer software, robotics and more. 

We are so grateful to an amazing, neighboring school district, allowing our students and staff members to experience this non-traditional learning environment and also bring back great new ideas to share at CMS! I'm also grateful to the adults that took time out of their schedules to attend this trip. This visit will certainly enhance our own makerspace moving forward.

 Check out some of our pictures from the trip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...