Yesterday, I had a crazy idea. I am not sure it will work but I think it is worth trying out. Our district is using many things google this year. One of the applications I have been trying to become familiar with is google community. I've set up a community for our Middle School and am using that as the place to post and share information instead of sending multiple emails. As I was updating that community yesterday, I checked my email and realized I had 5 emails from one MS student.
The emails from the student were all about the new makerspace room we are opening. He found out last week at Open House and has been excited ever since. As I checked out his resources (the ones he sent me), I realized they were excellent and I had to find a way to share with other members of our makerspace team. I decided to create another google community just for our makerspace team and invited him to be a part of it.
As I developed the page last night and sent invites to members (including him!), I realized I should add more students. How neat would that be? I know many of my students are already online. Wouldn't it make sense to engage in a meaningful conversation about our makerspace? It could be kind of cool to let them post resources and comment on ideas as posted by the (grown up) members of our group.
We are just about to open phase 1 of our makerspace. It's not full of everything we hope it will be -- yet. It is, however, a space that will allow students to create, imagine, tinker and explore. We are starting off slow with this room for lots of reasons (need donations, schedule logistics, etc.).
However, as Rita Pierson would say, "
We're on the road!"....to something great with student voice included!
 |
| makerspace ad |
 |
| origami |
 |
| tesselations |
I'll update this post next month sometime to report on how the Google community of students and teachers is operating. It will be interesting to see where this crazy idea leads.
 |
| donations flyer given out at Open House |
Great idea! We've used Google+ Communities with staff before when we first handed out a few Chromebooks for them to try. Now, we've got several created within departments and clubs to discuss and share resources. It's a great way to connect! Nice post, look forward to reading more about your makerspace & use of G+ Communities.
ReplyDeleteHi Jordan,
DeleteThank you so much for the comment. Still taking baby steps with all of this but we are on the road! :)
L
I love including the students in your community. Not only do you increase buy-in from them, but you have demonstrated your belief in them and taught them that their voice has power. This is important. I look forward to watching your adventure. I've enjoyed Google Classroom this year, but I don't know much about Makerspace. Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDelete