I am pretty fortunate to have many colleagues whom I can go to with ideas, questions, and even worries. They help me process through my thoughts which only helps me take the much needed next step. Most of these colleagues are people I follow on twitter or engage in conversations through Voxer.
The more I've become "connected", I've realized how social media has really leveled the playing field for so many of us. Before connected leadership, I never would have had the opportunities to discuss real educational issues with so many people whom I look up to in education -- #eduheros like Peter DeWitt, Tony Sinanis, and more!
Some of my dearest colleagues have warned me that twitter can become an echo chamber of sorts. I agree that I've seen that happen and yes, have even perpetuated it.
But, it's more than that too.
Earlier this year, in conversation with Tony Sinanis, I talked more about this idea of connected leadership. While we talked, I tried to explain that how my pln has expanded. There are so many people in my pln that I have interacted with this year that have impacted my practice in one way or another. It could be through #satchat, #BFC530, #nyedchat, or just reading tweets pushed out by people I follow.
Then, there's the inner layer of my pln. There's a small group of people, whom each have bigger and better things to do with their time, but make me feel visible. For much of my school career, I've felt rather invisible. I'd go into the room, sit in the back, think of new ideas, and implement them on a small scale within the walls of my own environment. Since my inner layer has developed, I've gained confidence. People whom I look up to make time for real conversations and give me advice about my practice. They validate ideas. They even argue when the disagree with me. But, it's all done in such a collaborative and open way.
Whether I am processing an idea with the @EdcampUNY crew or dropping a vox to the Middle School Principals' Group, I'm surrounded by like-minded, creative, passionate and growth mindset kind of people. They make me smile. They make me believe I can always do a better job tomorrow if I made a mistake or two today. They make me feel seen and heard.
If members of my pln feel half as supported by me as I do by them, I have a lot to be thankful for.
Lisa, really appreciate the "inner layer" concept. You are anything but invisible to me and to our MS Principals Voxer crew. Your wisdom makes us better and our friendship brings a smile to my face, each and every day.
ReplyDeleteGratefully,
Dennis
Nearly a year later and I've decided to reshare this post. No idea how I missed this kind comment of yours. Just know I count you in that inner layer. You are one of the best.
Delete