Since my mid-forties, I’ve done a pretty good job of keeping up with medical appointments people “my age” are supposed to have. At my annual physical this past Fall, I was handed the usual clipboard of papers. It included the checklist of statements where I had to rate how I was feeling. This screening is known as the GAF.
According to Wikipedia, "The Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) is a numeric scale used by mental health clinicians and physicians to rate subjectively the social, occupational, and psychological functioning of an individual, e.g., how well one is meeting various problems in living. Scores range from 100 (extremely high functioning) to 1 (severely impaired).”
The doctor knocked on the door, entered and began reviewing the paperwork I had completed. She looked up at me and back down at the paper at least two times. She remarked what a stark difference in responses I had given compared to a year ago. She was impressed and genuinely interested in what had happened to cause such drastic improvements. “Tell me what’s so different”, she inquired.
It took me only a moment to realize. I got a new job.
This had me thinking about what makes a school environment healthy or unhealthy and how that impacts our emotions. What conditions do we need to be able to do our best work for others? Webmd has published a list of traits seen in toxic workplaces versus healthy workplaces.
In the healthier setting, a fear of making a mistake doesn’t drive the work. Instead, it’s the promise of doing what is right for students that centers our purpose. Educators work best when they are supported. Believe we can make an impact and we will!
What took me a while to realize is that we, especially as women, don’t have to prove we are strong by staying in a place that doesn’t match our values or isn't able to see the worth we bring to the proverbial table. That’s not strength. It’s the complete opposite! Strength is finding a place with people who share your why and allow you to be your authentic self – flaws included.
Making the transition from a former, unhealthy environment to my current, healthier workplace has required a shift. It's taken me some time to realize the changes. My mind has slowly moved from protecting me to supporting we.
Turns out we is where the best work happens.
“I used to think the worst thing in life is to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone.” - Robin Williams
It's inspiring how a positive work environment can lead to such significant personal growth.
ReplyDelete