What if we could retrain our brains to assume the positive before we assumed the negative?
Boy, I could have used that advice this weekend. After receiving the second covid vaccine shot, I was dealt some serious side effects. Some I am still dealing with but none of them I won't survive. Still, the entire time I was sick, I focused on the negative.
The body aches, the fever, the shooting pains. The nurse must have messed up the dosage. The headache must have been tied to a bad batch of the vaccine.
None of that was true, but that was my irrational response in my state of uncomfortableness. Someone messed up how I was feeling even though I signed up for the vaccine all by myself and drove myself to the appointment.
Not once over a period of 48 hours do I think I even tried to find the positive. But, I could have.
The side effects are explained to be evidence that my body was building up its immunity to the vaccine. That's an amazing THING! A gift, really. Think about all of the other people would want a vaccine and can't get one yet. There is nothing about me that deserves my getting one before any other human being but I took that all for granted. Never, ever stopped to think about that until I was back to work trying to get into the swing of things again.
Is assuming the negative a form of protection or is it a response we've developed based on past experiences of similar situations? I suspect my recovery may have looked differently if I began from a place of empathy and one free from doubt.
I don't think it would have cured the physical reactions any sooner but I can sure the emotional ones would have fared better.
Comments
Post a Comment