Skip to main content

Flowers From Dana : A Guest Post


Flowers From Dana : A True Story

by Kenis Sweet, Math Teacher @ Granville Jr. Sr. High School

I called my parents one day last fall to check in, as they are in their 80’s now. They are particularly curious about my teaching and my students. My mom taught Home Economics in my Jr. High school and then High School back when I was there; now it is Food And Consumer Science, or FACS. Mom was a very progressive teacher; she even started a day care center in our high school to enrich the Childhood Development class that she created.

Mom was excited to tell me that the florist had arrived a few days earlier with a beautiful arrangement for her. The card was signed simply, “Thanks for everything, Dana.” My mom was baffled. Who was Dana?

Later that day, Dana called and explained. Dana remembered my sister from our high school, and had tracked her down through social media, and asked how to contact our mom. The flowers were a thank you for helping a struggling kid almost four decades earlier.

Dana explained that her father was a government employee, and had to move a lot for work. She had attended seven different school districts in her last six years of school. As a result, with just a few months to go before graduation, she was told that she was one credit short of meeting the state graduation requirements. Of course, Dana was devastated, certain that her life was ruined. Instead, my mother helped Dana create an independent project that took several weeks to complete, so that Dana could earn the required credit, and graduate in June with her peers.

Dana explained that at a recent seminar, participants were challenged to identify a caring individual that had a significant influence on their life. Dana said that my mom had always been a thought, but at that moment, Dana realized that my mother’s concern and dedication had literally changed her life’s direction. Instead of dropping out of High School, Dana graduated and went on to attend beauty school. She earned a Business Degree, and eventually opened her own shop. She now owns a chain of hair salons and employs dozens of staff members.

So my mom, choking back her emotions, said to me, “Don’t ever forget the impact that you have on a student’s life. You can literally change their future.”

                                                                    --------------------------- 

My sincerest thanks to Kenis for reminding us to know our why. If there is one thing that leading, teaching and learning has sharpened for many of us during this unprecedented time of schooling is our ability to find the silver linings. Knowing our why can help keep us remain centered even in unpredictable times. Because, like Kenis' mom advises, we may truly never know our impact. 


"When you know your why, your what has more impact because you are walking in towards your purpose."

Comments

  1. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free.the five dysfunctions of a team

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice information are you guys looking for your kids entertain play equipments here we have bestcommercial playground equipment for your kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really I enjoy your site with effective and useful information. It is included very nice post with a lot of our resources.thanks for share. i enjoy this post. Ramadan Umrah packages

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up. Great work. cheap hajj packages

    ReplyDelete
  5. Find out the latest reviews of mobiles, laptops and more technology news daily.
    Google Pixel 6
    Samsung 200MP Camera

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a fantastic post – immense clear and easy to understand. I am also holding out for the sharks too that made me laugh. Umrah In Ramadan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

Shelf Life

I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position. "How long have you been there?" "Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district." "You do realize you've overstayed your welcome." "What?!" "Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that." That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent bo...

Gram

I am a member of the #compelledtribe. We are a blogging group that supports each other and writes in response to posted topics every so often. This week's topic is: Share a story about someone who loved you when you didn't expect it, earn it, or either deserve it. One of my biggest regrets in life is that my grandmother may not have fully known the impact she has had on me. I had the privilege of living next door to her for nearly 5 years. There were rituals she made me do with her. We watched ice skating every Sunday. We watched Wheel of Fortune most nights. On weekends, she sent me around town to different stores, by foot, with a shopping list for deals at each of them (based on the flyers). I had an odd fashion sense then and she was never afraid to tell me if I looked awful. My gram was the lady with the lavender sweater, lavender slacks, and lavender pumps. She matched. I sported a more Boy George inspired look that she never really understood or appreciated.  G...