Turns out I'm not that great at...closures. I miss the synergy, enthusiasm and even the complications that being in school brings. I miss brainstorming with teachers and our administrative team. I miss joking with my Assistant Principal. (Talk about someone who deserves a medal for putting up with me every day.) Above all, I miss helping our students.
In my private life, I miss not being able to sustain relationships that mean so much. I tried to console two very important people in my personal life today through text messages. No matter what I wrote, it fell short. I even tried humor. That failed too. A gif can only say so much.
But, I keep trying -- with my flaws wide open. I care about people. The range of interpretation from how much I care begins at cheesiness and ends at extreme nudgeness (new word, made it up). I think too much about too many things and have a hard time shutting off this old mind.
I remarked earlier this week that this closure did bring one silver lining. I've noticed it and maybe you have too. People are saying "I love you" more. I've heard more nods of appreciation in these two weeks than I have in a long time. I've seen people send the kindest notes to my colleagues about their efforts. I think this crisis is changing the dialogue in positive ways.
People are watching....each other. We are noticing more but it's a different kind of notice. It feels supportive and forgiving. Maybe this is one big reality show for us and we are being tested to see if we have what it takes to win a magical prize. Maybe this is all Mother Nature's way of reminding us what really matters.
Perhaps this will all be over soon and we can head back to what we are already missing so much. We will look back on this time and recall stories of how we got each other through all of it and the lessons we learned. The lessons won't all be academic though. The biggest might be the one from the heart.
Stay safe.
Stay healthy.
Stay home.
You Will Be Found - Dear Evan Hansen
Even when the dark comes crashing through
When you need a friend to carry you
And when you're broken on the ground
You will be found
So let the sun come streaming in
'Cause you'll reach up and you'll rise again
Lift your head and look around
Comments
Post a Comment