They really have no reason to believe me. I've been told that I am the sixth principal in a long line of people to hold the position over the last ten years. I'm following a very respected interim principal as well. They were fortunate to have the consistency he brought to the building for two solid years.
And now they have to start over...with me.
Some might see that as asking a lot of them. What about me, my role or even my experience will make me worthy of their support? How will we come together as a group and do what's best for our students?
Hopefully, one step at a time.
Hopefully, one celebration at a time.
Hopefully, one recovery from setback or failure at a time.
Step by step and piece by piece.
You could say that I am asking them to form this new relationship (with me) much in the same way they will be forming new working relationships with students. Our students will start all over with them too this year. "My" teachers will have to earn the trust and buy in from their students with every lesson on every day. What they will be asking of students on a very basic level (show up, commit to the work, etc.) is exactly what I'll be asking of them and myself.
In many ways, we will be taking multiple leaps of faith together.
And now they have to start over...with me.
Some might see that as asking a lot of them. What about me, my role or even my experience will make me worthy of their support? How will we come together as a group and do what's best for our students?
Hopefully, one step at a time.
Hopefully, one celebration at a time.
Hopefully, one recovery from setback or failure at a time.
Step by step and piece by piece.
You could say that I am asking them to form this new relationship (with me) much in the same way they will be forming new working relationships with students. Our students will start all over with them too this year. "My" teachers will have to earn the trust and buy in from their students with every lesson on every day. What they will be asking of students on a very basic level (show up, commit to the work, etc.) is exactly what I'll be asking of them and myself.
In many ways, we will be taking multiple leaps of faith together.