Skip to main content

Tire Gauge Lesson

I was three and a half hours away from home with two teeenagers and my mother in tow. The tire gauge light came on and of course, worry kicked in. I pulled off the highway and pulled into a nearby Stewart's gas station to fill whichever tire it was that needed air. A very nice young woman watched me struggle trying to remember what the air pressure number  was for the tire. I knew it was on the car or tire somewhere. So, there I am, in the 20mph wind with my hair flying all over trying to remember. She asked if I needed some help and I quickly admitted yes. She explained that the PSI number I needed could be found right inside my door. And boom, she was right. 33. She stayed with me as I fumbled with each tire making sure I was all set. It was so kind of her. She advised me not to worry if the tire light did not go off right away.  I thanked her at least five times before she drove out of the gas station.

We arrived to our destination just fine and the car sat overnight. I had hoped that tire light would not still be on when we left the next day. But it was. So, worry crept back. I quickly googled tire center and found one at a nearby Wal-Mart just .4 miles away. We drove up the hill and pulled right in. I explained my situation to the young man at the counter. He asked me a few questions about my car but I was unable to answer most of them. I'm not very savvy about anything automobile related. He assured me not to worry and to give them the hour to look at the car.

An hour later, the service manager is now at the desk and he sees me pacing back and forth. He asks me my name and I respond. He shows me on the monitor where my car is in the "service line" and we exchange jokes about how long it will take. A short time later, he calls me up to the desk. He is joined by the technician. They assure me each tire is fine and that the light is on because the wrong valve stems are being used. I ask him to explain that in the simplest terms he can. They both do and it turns out the car is safe to drive home but I should follow up with my dealer when I am home about the tires and sensors. I enthusiastically thank them both for all of their help and for my piece of my mind. They both smile and the service manager tells the technician to delete any charges for the work. What? "Yep, you're all set, Lisa. No charge."  I quickly scan the paperwork and see the service charge total was only $40 but he has just cancelled that. No charge. Not a penny.

I thank him and without even thinking, I tell him, "I'm coming in for a hug."

He looks at me and tells me that it is not necessary. I explain I know it's not but he's just made the morning so much better by helping me. I ask if it's okay if I walk behind the counter (as I am already doing so). He agrees and smiles. And, then, I hug him.

My mom shakes her head at me. She's used to my silliness. But, I was being sincere. I could not imagine driving three and a half hours home tormented by that tire gauge light worrying if we were all going to be ok. I felt a responsibility for everyone in that car. And while I had hoped I could fix this problem on my own, I couldn't. I had to rely on others who knew much more about cars than I ever will. I had to admit my shortcomings around this topic.

I guess I could have driven off without having the tire checked but I would have perseverated the whole way and the ride would not have been the same. Each bump or pothole would have made me worry even more.

During the ride back home, I find myself thinking about the young lady who helped me and the team at the Tire Center and wonder if I can draw any parallels from this experience to my work.

I think about recent phone calls from community members or parents. They've reached out to share a concern and how I respond to them will either have them feeling helped or hindered.  I have a chance to provide outstanding customer service and my approach will make a difference. Reaching out to a school may feel overwhelming to those that don't talk "the language" we do all the time.

I also think about how my Superintendent reminds us that each member of our team has their own talent and she needs each one of us to be able to run a district. No one person can know everything about everything. We have to be able to admit when we don't know something. We all need each other. It comes down to being able to know whom to go to for which concern. Collaboration and cooperation are where the real synergy happens in the work.

I'm pretty sure that no one at that Tire Center has thought of me since my departure. They likely had bigger repairs to make after I left. But, the kindness they showed stayed with me all the way home.

That's the kind of impression I hope I can leave on someone this week.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...