I take my work as a leader and educator seriously. I think about decisions and events and how they impact students. Sometimes, I dice up parts of conversations in quiet reflection and think about what those snippets of information might mean. I wonder if I'm doing my best. I think about all the times I should have said more to certain individuals that are giving so much to all of our students.
I think about the other administrators (at the district and building levels) I work with that have helped me in my own work this year. Do they know how much I have appreciated their support? Do we always agree on every decision every time? No. But, that difference of opinion doesn't change the growing respect I have for them.
It's a bit of a balancing act.
I think about the nearly 20 new teachers I had the chance of meeting during the end of August. Talk about a passionate and energetic group! When I listen to new teachers speak of their craft, I am reminded of the reasons I went into teaching and then leadership. It's the recognition of being grateful to work within this field in some of the best careers (teacher and administrator) one could have.
A friend I've had since college (think 1990s) reached out to me recently for advice about a career move. She was contemplating leaving a district she had been in for nearly 20 years for one basic reason: she didn't feel seen or respected by the leadership. She was also aware that she had stopped growing as a learner. My advice was the follow her heart.💓
So in one big, brave move, she accepted a new position in a district whose leadership motivates her and started last week as a brand new teacher -- again! That kind of action is beyond courageous. She reports she already feels seen and appreciated by her new Principal. That's the kind of inspiration that can't be found everywhere.
It's also the kind of influence that should never be taken for granted.
It's a bit of a balancing act.
I think about the nearly 20 new teachers I had the chance of meeting during the end of August. Talk about a passionate and energetic group! When I listen to new teachers speak of their craft, I am reminded of the reasons I went into teaching and then leadership. It's the recognition of being grateful to work within this field in some of the best careers (teacher and administrator) one could have.
A friend I've had since college (think 1990s) reached out to me recently for advice about a career move. She was contemplating leaving a district she had been in for nearly 20 years for one basic reason: she didn't feel seen or respected by the leadership. She was also aware that she had stopped growing as a learner. My advice was the follow her heart.💓
So in one big, brave move, she accepted a new position in a district whose leadership motivates her and started last week as a brand new teacher -- again! That kind of action is beyond courageous. She reports she already feels seen and appreciated by her new Principal. That's the kind of inspiration that can't be found everywhere.
It's also the kind of influence that should never be taken for granted.
We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude.
Cynthia Ozick
Comments
Post a Comment