There's about a week left before school starts and that very real panic, that I have felt every summer's end of the last 25 years, is settling in. I fret about getting things done on my list and ready for the people that need it to be done. I have some big, important deadlines I need to meet this week. I'm growing anxious about some loose ends and hoping it all wraps up the way it needs to.
I'm not alone in this worry.
We each carry around our to do list for ending the summer. Some of us are reorganizing classroom libraries so that our readers have the best books available. Some of us are redesigning learning spaces so that flexible seating can be utilized. Many of us are writing welcome back letters to staff and students making sure they know we are excited to see them very soon. Quite a few of us have attended summer professional development to improve our skills in a myriad of areas.
And still, a few of us are working on paperwork and plans that are required by the state education department this time of year. You'd think submitting the grant application or computing SLO scores would be considered a big deal. It's important and big but not the most important.
Some of my most important work happened today during new teacher orientation. I was able to spend part of today with an incredible group of new teachers to our district. We spent time getting to know each other and tackling different topics relative to instructional practice. We also spent time sharing wishes about ourselves and our students.
When I meet new teachers, I always secretly look for two things -- content and heart. I'm mesmerized by teachers that have both. Teachers that know how to teach and why they teach. Teachers that know kids come first and subjects come second. Hearts before homework. Imagine what it felt like to be surrounded by that kind of synergy today!
Our Mentor Coordinator showed the Rita Pierson clip and it was a great reminder for the group and this time of year:
THIS is the most important work to be done.
Believe in and connect with kids and the rest will fall into place.
Put THAT at the top of your list.
I'm not alone in this worry.
We each carry around our to do list for ending the summer. Some of us are reorganizing classroom libraries so that our readers have the best books available. Some of us are redesigning learning spaces so that flexible seating can be utilized. Many of us are writing welcome back letters to staff and students making sure they know we are excited to see them very soon. Quite a few of us have attended summer professional development to improve our skills in a myriad of areas.
And still, a few of us are working on paperwork and plans that are required by the state education department this time of year. You'd think submitting the grant application or computing SLO scores would be considered a big deal. It's important and big but not the most important.
Some of my most important work happened today during new teacher orientation. I was able to spend part of today with an incredible group of new teachers to our district. We spent time getting to know each other and tackling different topics relative to instructional practice. We also spent time sharing wishes about ourselves and our students.
When I meet new teachers, I always secretly look for two things -- content and heart. I'm mesmerized by teachers that have both. Teachers that know how to teach and why they teach. Teachers that know kids come first and subjects come second. Hearts before homework. Imagine what it felt like to be surrounded by that kind of synergy today!
Our Mentor Coordinator showed the Rita Pierson clip and it was a great reminder for the group and this time of year:
THIS is the most important work to be done.
Believe in and connect with kids and the rest will fall into place.
Put THAT at the top of your list.

Comments
Post a Comment