We ended the department meeting with one of my favorite "Remembering Your Why" activities. Each person is given a post it note and asked to write the first name only of a student whom they feel they had the biggest impact on this year. Teacher after teacher took turns standing and sharing a brief story about the student. Many of the teachers cried with appreciation and we clapped for each other upon sharing our stories. The post it notes were collected onto one big poster sized post it note and will become a laminated reminder of our taking this time to reflect.
I was touched by each and every story. When some of the teachers began to include phrases like "it just clicked" or "I don't know what happened, but he just began to show such progress.", I felt the need to stop the activity.
I asked them to think about these phrases including "It just clicked". I tried to push their thinking by calling that phrase out because it wasn't that it JUST clicked for a student. The truth was their efforts and the student (and family) efforts from within made the impact! It wasn't up to chance or the spirit of the Universe. It happened because of elbow grease, purposeful instruction, and buckets of heart applied each and every day. It happened because no one gave up. It happened because of them...all of them.
There's simply no JUST about it.
Here's to a job well done and a room full of incredible reflections!

I was touched by each and every story. When some of the teachers began to include phrases like "it just clicked" or "I don't know what happened, but he just began to show such progress.", I felt the need to stop the activity.
I asked them to think about these phrases including "It just clicked". I tried to push their thinking by calling that phrase out because it wasn't that it JUST clicked for a student. The truth was their efforts and the student (and family) efforts from within made the impact! It wasn't up to chance or the spirit of the Universe. It happened because of elbow grease, purposeful instruction, and buckets of heart applied each and every day. It happened because no one gave up. It happened because of them...all of them.
There's simply no JUST about it.
Here's to a job well done and a room full of incredible reflections!
Comments
Post a Comment