Skip to main content

Let The Words Fall Out

She stands before the group and begins to tell her story. It's a deep and dark collection of memories. It's her story and the way she is sharing it with all of us is just so raw. It's so sad. It takes me back to different days. Still, that rawness makes it beautiful and real. I want to tell her I can relate to some of it but I don't.

Another warrior I know asks me to sit with her and she begins to tell me a story about her marriage. It's messy and complicated. I do little more than listen and remind her how incredible she is. I want to tell her I have felt that same messiness before but I don't.

He keeps repeating the same lines to me about what has happened and I fade in and out of listening trying to remember what it's like to be a teenager. I think about how hard it was. How many mistakes are made. I think back to the many I made. I'm still ashamed of some all these years later.  I want to protect him from growing up too fast. I think about just explaining all of that -- all of this --- to him, but I don't.

Perhaps I don't do any of these things because the time just doesn't feel right. Perhaps I don't say something more because of other reasons. Maybe I'm just scared. I keep the words all in.

Yet, I know that at the very basic level, everyone shares so many struggles -- human to human. There is so much in common but we will, at times, withhold that commonality.  Someone somewhere along the way decided being vulnerable was a bad thing. What if it's not bad at all?

What if it's the complete opposite?



Standing before a group of educators to share your story hoping it impacts the future experiences of so many of our students is brave! Sitting with a trusted friend and sharing how much your heart is hurting is certainly courageous.  And stopping to admit past mistakes hoping someone else can learn from them is valorous. 

There is little about our work, inside and outside of our schools, that is easy. The more we learn to lean on each other, the more we realize how much we need each other.  The more we share our courage, the clearer our purpose can become. 

The more we let our words fall out, the more we find the connections between us that have been there all along. 




Brave - Sara Bareilles

"Nothing's gonna hurt you the way that words do
And they settle 'neath your skin
Kept on the inside and no sunlight
Sometimes a shadow wins
But I wonder what would happen if you
Say what you wanna say
And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave..."

Comments

  1. Beautiful...
    Thanks for writing this and sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you my brother. Thanks for always letting me, be me.

      Delete
  2. Your hug meant the world to me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post Lisa .... yes... so important to allow ourselves to be vulnerable. Hard work. YOU inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how you do the same for me. #bestbrotheraleadercouldhave

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...