I think being a parent helps me be a better leader. Yet, I think being a leader hurts me as a parent sometimes. Since becoming a Mom, it is easier to put myself in the shoes of some of the parents I interact with. When I do interact with a parent that is upset, I am usually able to remind myself that if I were in his or her shoes, I'd likely respond the same way with the information that I had about a particular situation.
But, as a parent with a background in education, I can worry too much about my son and his school experience. In some cases, I bring more experience (that can inform my view) to some conversations when it comes to assessment, learning, instruction and more. I will get stuck on pieces of information and usually try to walk a fine line between being a Mom and being a leader. If I see something that is not reflective of current best practice, I'll want to fix it --- but sometimes it's not mine to fix.
It's rarely easy and I am thankful for the many educators my son has had that honor that duplicity. Over ten years of schooling, few have ever made me feel as though my input as a parent (and then an educator, if warranted) didn't matter. Those that have gone out of their way to make a connection with my son and his school experience have found a place in this Mom's heart.
Whether I am a parent or a leader, the emphasis on relationships is always primary. I want the parents I work with to know that we care about their children and their input. I want the educators I work with (as a Mom) to see the importance of building a relationship with my son as he stumbles and soars through parts of his own learning experience. At the very basic level, we all want to matter and want each of our children to matter.
And, we do.
They do.
You do.
But, as a parent with a background in education, I can worry too much about my son and his school experience. In some cases, I bring more experience (that can inform my view) to some conversations when it comes to assessment, learning, instruction and more. I will get stuck on pieces of information and usually try to walk a fine line between being a Mom and being a leader. If I see something that is not reflective of current best practice, I'll want to fix it --- but sometimes it's not mine to fix.
It's rarely easy and I am thankful for the many educators my son has had that honor that duplicity. Over ten years of schooling, few have ever made me feel as though my input as a parent (and then an educator, if warranted) didn't matter. Those that have gone out of their way to make a connection with my son and his school experience have found a place in this Mom's heart.
Whether I am a parent or a leader, the emphasis on relationships is always primary. I want the parents I work with to know that we care about their children and their input. I want the educators I work with (as a Mom) to see the importance of building a relationship with my son as he stumbles and soars through parts of his own learning experience. At the very basic level, we all want to matter and want each of our children to matter.
And, we do.
They do.
You do.

Comments
Post a Comment