A three day weekend has provided a lot of time for personal reflection (and skilled avoidance of housework). In some ways, having too much time to think is a bad thing. I've spent some time replaying recent conversations and wondering if I've done the best I could have at handling them.
Part of this reflection time has also included catching up on blog post reading. I learn so much from other educators and their posts. Sometimes, I comment. Sometimes, I just retweet. But, nearly all of the time, the posts seem to move me closer to a needed piece of clarity in my own practice.
In assuming a new role in a new (and larger) district, I'm trying to find my focus. As in any of our schools or classrooms, there are always areas we want to work on. New teacher to veteran teacher, new leader to experienced leader. Levels of proficiency or service shouldn't change that. Most, if not all of the educators I've been honored to work with, always want to move ahead....thoughtfully.
George Couros, recently posted, "How Our Conversations In Education Should Begin". He writes "No matter your position, we need to focus on who we serve and work backwards from there." He explains this thought further in this video:
"How Our Conversations Should Start" by George Couros
"So you and I agree, we are here to do what's best for kids." I thought about the statement for awhile and replayed some recent conversations and wondered if it could fit in each of them. I was surprised when it could. Each and every time. Starting with the end in mind will help me as I move forward in this (new) role.
Erin Murphy's post added to this idea. In "Is It Time for a Messy Conversation?", she writes about how fearing the tough conversations can keep us from moving forward. She explains, "We may avoid a messy conversation, because we feel the struggle is not worth our time. If there is a negative correlation between the issue at hand and the work of our students, teachers, or school at large, then it is absolutely worth confronting."
The focus, moving forward, must be to continue to celebrate all the good (and that is already happening in our schools and district) as well as working together, openly and honestly, to address the goals we have set in other areas for improvement. Starting with what's best for our students will keep the work on track.

Comments
Post a Comment