The end of the year brings a flurry of feelings. Like many leaders at this time of year, I am lost in reflection hoping I've done my best and made a real difference in my school. I am collecting some feedback through a teacher survey and even an additional student survey. However, I've also gathered additional information through reflection and reading.
Over the last few days, I've been fortunate enough to read a copy of Hacking Leadership by Joe Sanfelippo and Tony Sinanis. The official release of the book is TODAY.
The timing of the release is simply perfect! It serves as a personal and powerful reflection tool for leaders. There are "10 Hacks" and each provide steps to take immediately and then "blueprints for full implementation". What is neat about these blueprints is that they are followed by answers to "overcoming pushback". That section of each hack makes this book unique. I've read many a book that tells me what I should or could do but rarely have I see an honest listing of how to handle all the ifs, ands, or buts that meaningful work like this will bring.
I had some time to read most of the book while waiting for my son at an event. It was Friday. I was tired and was recalling pieces of a very long week. As I read through the book, I began to feel empowered. I was able to connect with action steps I was already doing in my school (YES!) and identify new ideas I could use in the next school year.
So much of the book ties back to culture and that has become a passion of mine. We work in a national, K-12 system that neglects to see the power of culture to create sustainable change. Some pretend it's not a big issue. Few write about it well and intimate it's fluff. Tony and Joe write about it incredibly well and declare the complete opposite! They remind us how important it is to use culture as our base and to put learners at the front of all the work we do.
What I continue to admire about both authors in their writing is how they weave in examples of practicing principals and help celebrate those stories too. These connections only help to model how powerful connectedness in a school and in a professional learning network really can be.
I have just one more hack to finish reading but I can assure you this book will become my planbook for the year ahead.
Over the last few days, I've been fortunate enough to read a copy of Hacking Leadership by Joe Sanfelippo and Tony Sinanis. The official release of the book is TODAY.
The timing of the release is simply perfect! It serves as a personal and powerful reflection tool for leaders. There are "10 Hacks" and each provide steps to take immediately and then "blueprints for full implementation". What is neat about these blueprints is that they are followed by answers to "overcoming pushback". That section of each hack makes this book unique. I've read many a book that tells me what I should or could do but rarely have I see an honest listing of how to handle all the ifs, ands, or buts that meaningful work like this will bring.
I had some time to read most of the book while waiting for my son at an event. It was Friday. I was tired and was recalling pieces of a very long week. As I read through the book, I began to feel empowered. I was able to connect with action steps I was already doing in my school (YES!) and identify new ideas I could use in the next school year.
So much of the book ties back to culture and that has become a passion of mine. We work in a national, K-12 system that neglects to see the power of culture to create sustainable change. Some pretend it's not a big issue. Few write about it well and intimate it's fluff. Tony and Joe write about it incredibly well and declare the complete opposite! They remind us how important it is to use culture as our base and to put learners at the front of all the work we do.
What I continue to admire about both authors in their writing is how they weave in examples of practicing principals and help celebrate those stories too. These connections only help to model how powerful connectedness in a school and in a professional learning network really can be.
I have just one more hack to finish reading but I can assure you this book will become my planbook for the year ahead.

Loved reading this, thank you
ReplyDelete