I was in the nurse's office for at least three middle school incidents yesterday. It was one of those days. It began with an injury on the playground at recess and kind of grew from there. Each and every time I entered the space, I was greeted with a warm welcome. I've seen that welcome before as an observer or just walking through.
Our school nurse provides nursing coverage for nearly 700 students grade 6-12. As you can imagine that's a range of needs and attention levels. In addition to being a nurse, she's a mentor and counselor.
When I needed a check in/check out person for a student a few months back, I realized one of the adults he connected best with was the nurse. I hesitated (only for minutes) about asking her to become that daily mentor. She didn't even hesitate and agreed immediately. I've walked in on bits of their conversations (I'm kind of obnoxious when I enter the Nurse's office), and can see how much he relies on her for guidance.
Our nurse also helps when students are in emotional crisis. On more occasions than I can count, she's been the one who has de-escalated a student in need. She's also the one that has the sympathetic conversations with students about what worries them most. About things like cutting, eating disorders, anxiety, and stress. Kids respond to our nurse. I could literally ask our nurse to do anything above and beyond first aid or medical attention to students and she would! Without a blink. Our nurse plays a critical role in keeping students healthy, monitoring attendance, encouraging staff wellness, managing school emergencies and helping to keep us accountable.
So, on School Nurse's Day, I want to use this public space to praise the work of our school nurse, Mrs. Debbie Kirkpatrick! I want to put into print how very thankful I am to have her working alongside of me in our middle school.
Thank you for all you do, Debbie.
Our school nurse provides nursing coverage for nearly 700 students grade 6-12. As you can imagine that's a range of needs and attention levels. In addition to being a nurse, she's a mentor and counselor.
When I needed a check in/check out person for a student a few months back, I realized one of the adults he connected best with was the nurse. I hesitated (only for minutes) about asking her to become that daily mentor. She didn't even hesitate and agreed immediately. I've walked in on bits of their conversations (I'm kind of obnoxious when I enter the Nurse's office), and can see how much he relies on her for guidance.
Our nurse also helps when students are in emotional crisis. On more occasions than I can count, she's been the one who has de-escalated a student in need. She's also the one that has the sympathetic conversations with students about what worries them most. About things like cutting, eating disorders, anxiety, and stress. Kids respond to our nurse. I could literally ask our nurse to do anything above and beyond first aid or medical attention to students and she would! Without a blink. Our nurse plays a critical role in keeping students healthy, monitoring attendance, encouraging staff wellness, managing school emergencies and helping to keep us accountable.
So, on School Nurse's Day, I want to use this public space to praise the work of our school nurse, Mrs. Debbie Kirkpatrick! I want to put into print how very thankful I am to have her working alongside of me in our middle school.
Thank you for all you do, Debbie.

Comments
Post a Comment