I was talking to the teacher's union building representative about how hard this time of year can be. We both quickly agreed that there was a need not to wallow in that difficulty. It has been an incredible year (full of awesome work) but that was running the risk of being overshadowed by how exhausted everyone seemed to be. We began to cheer each other on about NOT letting a few tough, recent days define an entire year.
What's that saying about seeing the forest through the trees? That's what the end of the year is. In a recent Monday Message, I shared the following with my team:
Wow. These past two weeks have been some of the most difficult weeks we’ve had all year. So much going on. This includes with our students. I’ve been part of some pretty difficult news with kids over the last 14 days. It’s exhausting. But, I don’t have to tell you that. You already know it. You are with the same students all day long and know their stories intimately. If I’m feeling exhausted, I can’t imagine what you call the feeling you have. What’s bigger than being exhausted? That word would apply to all of you.
But, as cliche as it may sound, it is during the tough times that we see some of the most beautiful things. Among the rubble of the last 14 days, I also witnessed great beauty. Here are just a few examples:
- Unified Basketball Game… kids play with such heart
- Our first Restorative Justice circle...adults rallied openly and honestly to help a student
- Donations from Lowe’s arrived for the garden. That’s some loot!
- Teachers dressed up for the 80s Fun Night
- Donations upon donations from staff for refreshments for the Fun Night
- A successful Floating Classroom trip for 8th grade
- Two kind notes from a student
- Your sharing of photographs for our 80s wall
- Staff member arranging for Mrs. Pac Man to be delivered to our Fun Night
Those examples are just off the top of my head. So think about that. In a matter of minutes, good stuff already noted. I wonder how much more “good” could be found if we all looked for it more carefully. We should push each other to do that. May is always the TOUGHEST month of a school year. Always. Don’t let a few expected wrinkles ruin your outlook. Hold me to it as well. Let’s crush the rest of May, together.
I'm not much of a runner but I am friends with many who do. This time of year makes me think of them and advice one once gave me. This work, our work, is always a marathon. It's a race we never really finish until nearly July. It requires pacing, refueling, training, cheering each other on, and even eyes up to take in all the beauty that is still around us. Right foot, left foot, together.

Comments
Post a Comment