I really like the "On This Day" memories feature that Facebook has. I enjoy seeing flashbacks to past thoughts and ideas. Mostly, I enjoy the walk back in time through photos of my son. I am guilty of using Facebook as my personal family scrapbook. I can remember when Sam was little and I'd hear people say things like:
Don't blink. Time moves so fast.
You're going to miss these days.
It will get better.
I'd listen and nod to the well meaning speakers of advice but in the back of my mind, I didn't fully believe them. My son hasn't followed the general path of development for a child, much less a boy. He's never fit into boxes and because of that it hasn't been always been a smooth or linear ride.
He's half way through 8th grade as I write this and I've become more and more aware of how much he has grown up over the last few years. I've noticed how much his confidence has bloomed. Fewer of the worries I had before can be found now. It's a remarkable feeling.
I sensed a part of that feeling again last night at a high school basketball game at our school. I was watching an incredible boys basketball game and kept thinking about how it felt like only a second ago that these athletes were in the middle school. I could remember fun stories about some. I could also remember important conversations with others. I could even remember a lesson or two that they taught me. But, what I couldn't shake was how quickly time had flown by!
It never felt intentional. Day in and day out, we raise and support our children hoping they are making good choices and becoming good people. We watch them, on and off the courts, and see them support each other and rally when needed.
And then we see it. Moments. Pieces. Snapshots.
The times where they are flying on their own or part of larger group of people with a common purpose. Moments like this can make a parent (and principal) realize each step, celebration, struggle, stop and restart on the journey has been and will always be worth it.
Don't blink. Time moves so fast.
You're going to miss these days.
It will get better.
I'd listen and nod to the well meaning speakers of advice but in the back of my mind, I didn't fully believe them. My son hasn't followed the general path of development for a child, much less a boy. He's never fit into boxes and because of that it hasn't been always been a smooth or linear ride.
He's half way through 8th grade as I write this and I've become more and more aware of how much he has grown up over the last few years. I've noticed how much his confidence has bloomed. Fewer of the worries I had before can be found now. It's a remarkable feeling.
I sensed a part of that feeling again last night at a high school basketball game at our school. I was watching an incredible boys basketball game and kept thinking about how it felt like only a second ago that these athletes were in the middle school. I could remember fun stories about some. I could also remember important conversations with others. I could even remember a lesson or two that they taught me. But, what I couldn't shake was how quickly time had flown by!
It never felt intentional. Day in and day out, we raise and support our children hoping they are making good choices and becoming good people. We watch them, on and off the courts, and see them support each other and rally when needed.
And then we see it. Moments. Pieces. Snapshots.
The times where they are flying on their own or part of larger group of people with a common purpose. Moments like this can make a parent (and principal) realize each step, celebration, struggle, stop and restart on the journey has been and will always be worth it.
My Wish - Rascal Flatts
"My wish, for you, is that this life becomes all that you want it to,
Your dreams stay big, your worries stay small,
You never need to carry more than you can hold,
And while you're out there getting where you're getting to,
I hope you know somebody loves you, and wants the same things too,
Yeah, this, is my wish.

Lisa, this piece has a smooth movement from the introductory piece on your son to the wish for your students. The song adds a special touch.
ReplyDelete