At the time, it seemed like a great idea. I was certain I could pull it off. Now, as the deadline for the ¨great idea¨ is nearing, I am realizing that perhaps I didn´t think this all the way through.
I have volunteered to learn a song for an upcoming Holiday Concert. Hey, I played the bells (xylophone) just 30 plus years ago. I am sure I can remember how to play a simple Christmas carol.
Or so I thought.
Just a few weeks ago, I was loaned a set of bells on which to practice. I took them home fairly certain what I knew "then" would just come rushing back to me "now". That did NOT happen. As I unfolded the music, I realized I didn't automatically know the names of all the notes. A quick google search and I was using post-it notes to mark notes on the bells. (Turns out those notes would need to be revised as I coded those incorrectly!)
In the middle of my confusion, I began to understand my arrogance. I assumed that remembering all of what I knew before would be easy! A snap! I assumed it wouldn't take long to get back into the swing of things. I assumed I could learn this simple song quickly.
I was wrong.
Just because I had prior experience with the instrument, there was no guarantee I would be able to see this idea through. Many of us have experience with a myriad of things but that's doesn't make us more proficient in understanding or using them.
I was able to attend a few rehearsals with a very forgiving bunch of sixth grade students. (I was also able to attend band lessons which taught me much!) What I didn't anticipate was how NERVOUS I would be to be back in the shoes of the learner. As the band teacher approached my music stand, I would freeze and get incredibly anxious. Panic would set in. This teacher, when I was just the Principal, was always one of the most genuine and polite professionals and I never felt nervous near him. But, when I was NOT the Principal and I was the novice bell player, my nerves got the best of me. I was afraid of messing up. I was afraid of mistakes. I was afraid of letting my teacher down.
After each rehearsal, amazingly honest but supportive students would remind me to keep practicing. One student even hinted she wasn't sure I'd be able to pull off completely learning the song. She had a point. I was off to a rocky start.
When I was able to play part of the song correctly, they cheered me on. They were able to see me sharing the same learning experience. We were classmates! Let me be clear, however, THEY knew how to play their instruments with much more proficiency than I. Yet, they still made room for me.
We have just a few hours before the big concert. I'll know how this idea turns out soon enough.
In the middle of my confusion, I began to understand my arrogance. I assumed that remembering all of what I knew before would be easy! A snap! I assumed it wouldn't take long to get back into the swing of things. I assumed I could learn this simple song quickly.
I was wrong.
Just because I had prior experience with the instrument, there was no guarantee I would be able to see this idea through. Many of us have experience with a myriad of things but that's doesn't make us more proficient in understanding or using them.
I was able to attend a few rehearsals with a very forgiving bunch of sixth grade students. (I was also able to attend band lessons which taught me much!) What I didn't anticipate was how NERVOUS I would be to be back in the shoes of the learner. As the band teacher approached my music stand, I would freeze and get incredibly anxious. Panic would set in. This teacher, when I was just the Principal, was always one of the most genuine and polite professionals and I never felt nervous near him. But, when I was NOT the Principal and I was the novice bell player, my nerves got the best of me. I was afraid of messing up. I was afraid of mistakes. I was afraid of letting my teacher down.
After each rehearsal, amazingly honest but supportive students would remind me to keep practicing. One student even hinted she wasn't sure I'd be able to pull off completely learning the song. She had a point. I was off to a rocky start.
When I was able to play part of the song correctly, they cheered me on. They were able to see me sharing the same learning experience. We were classmates! Let me be clear, however, THEY knew how to play their instruments with much more proficiency than I. Yet, they still made room for me.
We have just a few hours before the big concert. I'll know how this idea turns out soon enough.
What an amazing experience. My Band teacher asked me to play with my Jazz Band kids this Spring. Your post has inspired me. What a great way to connect on a very different level with the kids and your teacher and by virtue of that one teacher connection I am sure you are also connecting in very different ways with other teachers in your building. Not as the expert but as the learner. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for the kind comment. I can't wait to hear about your Band experience!
Delete