Earlier this Fall, I had the opportunity to travel to Washington, D.C., to meet with legislators about educational policy concerns. It was a nerve wracking experience for this small town Principal but one I took seriously and tried to prepare for. I had three appointments on one day to talk with different offices on Capitol Hill.
At one of the appointments, I was reminded how much even a simple interaction can mean to someone. I had hoped to talk with a specific person (whom I had an appointment with). I was escorted to the appointment. Yet, I felt as if I was one more thing on a list of to-do items.
We met in a hallway and spoke just briefly as two others looked on. The one gentleman staring our way appeared bothered. He looked at me and then looked at his watch. His face -- emotionless. As I stood there trying to have a conversation that was meaningful, I realized I was failing. I grew nervous and began to feel awkward. I couldn't stay focused on the actual conversation. I was thinking too much about what the two onlookers were thinking. Was I messing this up? Did I sound stupid?
I said my good-byes and as I walked to my next appointment, I reflected. I thought about how I was feeling at exactly THAT moment. I decided that this specific experience was given to me so that I could learn from it.
Lesson #1
Be present when you are meeting with someone. Be fully present.
Lesson #2
Take time to make everyone you interact with feel heard and noticed.
Lesson #3
Don't take yourself too seriously. Mess up an important meeting because of nerves? Forgive yourself.
Awhile back, one of my amazing mentors reminded me:
"Lead with the kind of leadership you expect even when it's not the kind of leadership
being extended your way."
That advice stuck with me and I think it applies here as well. We all have our punch list of items and appointments that have to be completed. Yet, just getting through "the list" doesn't make our days meaningful.
It's what we do with each item on the list that does.
Glitterboard by Danielle Kuba

Comments
Post a Comment