I knew that firecracker of a student teacher was filming his lesson today so I stopped by in the afternoon to see how things were going. His cooperating teacher was so proud and upbeat. We talked briefly about how providing this kind of experience is a form of professional development to BOTH individuals. Watching someone else work through the same tasks you are working through allows you different viewpoints. It presents additional options and opportunities for reflection. The cooperating teacher was remarking how much HE learned about lesson delivery today.
I feel the same way about having an intern. For the better part of this year, I am sharing an entire building with her. She gets to see me celebrate successes, work through difficult occasions, and attempt to balance the myriad of needs within our space. She's seen me do well and she's seen me handle some things poorly. I look forward to her help each day. In fact, I'm not sure what I'll do next year when she is likely off being a rock star administrator somewhere.
I've been able to let go of some tasks and allow her to "take 'em and run".
That letting go requires a certain amount of trust, doesn't it?
From both of us and in both of us.
What is the best lesson you've learned through supervising a student teacher or an intern?
Poster by Karen Aulman
Words and Idea for

It's rejuvenating to see and feel a student teacher's enthusiasm for teaching and reminds me that I need to keep that same enthusiasm to be an effective teacher. My current students deserve it as much as the former ones did!
ReplyDelete