Last night, I was tearing through the mall with my son and mother in tow. I was on a mission to accomplish the things on my list. I was hyperfocused on where I was going but then I heard, "Lisa, Lisa...hey Lisa.". I looked around and met a familiar face. It was an amazing teacher I worked with when I was a teacher in Fort Edward, NY. She wanted to tell me congratulations on the principal award and she went on to say she watched the speech on you tube.
"Thanks for sticking up for all of us."
I thanked her and told her I had been given advice to make the two minutes count. I wanted to use the time to say what needed to be said. Who knows when anyone anywhere would (be forced to) listen to anything I might say?
I spent two days in an amazing workshop with Rick Wormeli (more to come on that in another post). The theme throughout his time with us was to act ethically. Act ethically. Stand up for kids. Jump in the pit with them.
Here are two quotes from his presentation that speak to this:
Imagine overcoming any trepidation to say what we really need to say....and then to be heard.
"Thanks for sticking up for all of us."
I thanked her and told her I had been given advice to make the two minutes count. I wanted to use the time to say what needed to be said. Who knows when anyone anywhere would (be forced to) listen to anything I might say?
I spent two days in an amazing workshop with Rick Wormeli (more to come on that in another post). The theme throughout his time with us was to act ethically. Act ethically. Stand up for kids. Jump in the pit with them.
Here are two quotes from his presentation that speak to this:
We are in the world to help out each other not to play gotcha @rickwormeli2 #sbgtroy15
— Lisa M (@LisaMeade23) May 15, 2015
"Let me see the golden side of me" #SBGTroy15
— Lisa M (@LisaMeade23) May 14, 2015
While these quotes were used to talk about relationships with students, I believe the advice can extend beyond to include teachers, parents, administrators and even policy makers. Groups on both sides of the APPR fence can take this advice and apply it.Imagine overcoming any trepidation to say what we really need to say....and then to be heard.
Say What You Need To Say - John Mayer
Lisa I enjoyed your speech and this piece. You were truly one of my first PLN members who believed in me and for that I am grateful. I am so proud of you and the award you received. You are definitely someone who never hesitates to say what needs to be said or write what needs to be written. I am honored to call you a friend and I am sure we will meet again one day. Be well.
ReplyDeleteJon, your kind words mean so much. I too am honored to call you friend and thank the twitterverse for connecting us. You are one in a million.
Delete