A few weeks ago, a teacher in Denver gave her students post it notes with a phrase at the top: I wish my teacher knew. What she learned surprised her. In my #MiddleLeaders voxer group, one of our principals took that idea and gave each of her teachers a sheet with "I wish my principal knew" at the top. She used that activity to learn more about her staff and their thoughts. Some of what she heard was quite surprising.
This week, May 4-8, will be Teacher Appreciation Week all across the United States. During the same week, specifically on May 7, the New York State Education Department is convening a Learning Summit to review the proposed APPR changes for educators in NY. (You can learn more about the summit here.)
At a time when I should be focusing my efforts on celebrating my teachers, I find myself frustrated by the current political climate around education in our state. So much of the work that building leaders are doing day to day with teachers is being tarnished by a misguided political agenda. Our messages to teachers become clouded. My message to my teachers gets muddied with messages from outsiders looking in.
I wish my teachers knew that they were trusted.
I wish my teachers knew that their work is appreciated.
I wish my teachers knew that one bad apple does not ruin a bunch.
I wish my teachers knew that no one thinks state test scores matter most.
I wish my teachers knew that the hard work we have done together over the last three years does still count.
In time for the Learning Summit on May 7th, my colleague Christina Luce and I are asking NY educators to write about the proposed APPR changes so that we can share them with NYSED and politicians on May 6th. (We've both written on the topic already and you can find our posts here and here.)
In honor of the work your teachers and colleagues do, I'd ask that you join the challenge below and make sure your teachers know you stand for them.
Silence implies agreement.
Use your voice to share your opinion.
Challenge from my original post:
I'm challenging all of my NY educator friends to publish a post about the proposed APPR changes and let's get the (real) word out. We can't change assumptions by standing still and hoping for the best.
*As posts are shared with us, we will add them to a Google Doc that we hope to share with NYSED and government officials. Thank you for taking time to help!*
This week, May 4-8, will be Teacher Appreciation Week all across the United States. During the same week, specifically on May 7, the New York State Education Department is convening a Learning Summit to review the proposed APPR changes for educators in NY. (You can learn more about the summit here.)
At a time when I should be focusing my efforts on celebrating my teachers, I find myself frustrated by the current political climate around education in our state. So much of the work that building leaders are doing day to day with teachers is being tarnished by a misguided political agenda. Our messages to teachers become clouded. My message to my teachers gets muddied with messages from outsiders looking in.
I wish my teachers knew that they were trusted.
I wish my teachers knew that their work is appreciated.
I wish my teachers knew that one bad apple does not ruin a bunch.
I wish my teachers knew that no one thinks state test scores matter most.
I wish my teachers knew that the hard work we have done together over the last three years does still count.
In time for the Learning Summit on May 7th, my colleague Christina Luce and I are asking NY educators to write about the proposed APPR changes so that we can share them with NYSED and politicians on May 6th. (We've both written on the topic already and you can find our posts here and here.)
In honor of the work your teachers and colleagues do, I'd ask that you join the challenge below and make sure your teachers know you stand for them.
Silence implies agreement.
Use your voice to share your opinion.
Challenge from my original post:
I'm challenging all of my NY educator friends to publish a post about the proposed APPR changes and let's get the (real) word out. We can't change assumptions by standing still and hoping for the best.
*As posts are shared with us, we will add them to a Google Doc that we hope to share with NYSED and government officials. Thank you for taking time to help!*
What a great week to help your teachers realize your wishes. Be that voice and let them hear all the great things you wish for them. How impactful to their world and how reassuring of your support of them.
ReplyDeleteGreat stuff Lisa, simply Great!
Craig
Thanks so much Craig! :)
Delete