I made time yesterday to watch Joe Mazza's Tedex YouthBHS talk. He's one of those people I follow on twitter. Always thinking to myself about how put together he has it (does he ever stop coming up with new ideas?!). I assumed, from far away, he had so much figured out. I learned, after watching the video, that he's on the same bumpy journey I am on...that most of us are on, in fact.
In the spirit of his 10 assumptions, I offer some of mine. These are life lessons told to me at an early age that have turned out to be false. It's misleading advice that I wish I knew was wrong way back when. I've believed some of it until very recently. I won't go into each assumption here as the details around some of them are still too personal, to close to the heart, too much. I'll simply let the absurdity of each assumption speak for itself.
In no particular order...
1. Your weight determines what people think of you.
2. Quiet girls are more accepted than obnoxious ones. Unless you're pretty. If you're pretty, you can be obnoxious.
3. Pink is for girls and blue is for boys.
4. Crying means you are weak.
5. Don't ask for what you want. Wait for it to be given to you.
6. More money means more happiness.
I'm still thinking about 4 more and hoping to add to this list eventually.
What are some of your assumptions?
In the spirit of his 10 assumptions, I offer some of mine. These are life lessons told to me at an early age that have turned out to be false. It's misleading advice that I wish I knew was wrong way back when. I've believed some of it until very recently. I won't go into each assumption here as the details around some of them are still too personal, to close to the heart, too much. I'll simply let the absurdity of each assumption speak for itself.
In no particular order...
1. Your weight determines what people think of you.
2. Quiet girls are more accepted than obnoxious ones. Unless you're pretty. If you're pretty, you can be obnoxious.
3. Pink is for girls and blue is for boys.
4. Crying means you are weak.
5. Don't ask for what you want. Wait for it to be given to you.
6. More money means more happiness.
I'm still thinking about 4 more and hoping to add to this list eventually.
What are some of your assumptions?
I would agree with all six, Lisa! Thanks for posting and for continuing the conversation. Always love learning from you! jm
ReplyDeleteJoe, thanks for taking the time to read the post. Your talk inspired the post and my thinking ever since. So thankful to be connected.
DeleteThe breakdown of the word assume has humbled me more than once. It does make one act like an a** at times - I appreciate your honesty here. It's an important conversation.
ReplyDeletethanks Amy...never know if too honest is too honest. I appreciate your support!
Delete