When students ask to talk to me about conflicts with other students, it sometimes involves mean words. Unfortunately, the words aren't the mean words I grew up with. No one is calling each other a jerk or carrot head anymore. The words have grown to a new level. I can't even write some of the words here.
I don't see many students about this kind of conflict but when I do, these are tough conversations to have. I was talking to a reflective teacher on my 7th grade team about words and he challenged my thinking by thoughtfully suggesting that some kids are using mean words (that we would have not used when we were younger) without fully realizing their impact. I think he's right. I also think there is small percentage of students that are using the words to harm and I want to dissect the causes for that.
I know we all make mistakes with our words. At least, I know I have. But these most recent conversations have me thinking about how to do better and how to better help my students see that words can inspire or destroy. That thinking is what I'm considering my principal's homework for the weekend.
I don't see many students about this kind of conflict but when I do, these are tough conversations to have. I was talking to a reflective teacher on my 7th grade team about words and he challenged my thinking by thoughtfully suggesting that some kids are using mean words (that we would have not used when we were younger) without fully realizing their impact. I think he's right. I also think there is small percentage of students that are using the words to harm and I want to dissect the causes for that.
I know we all make mistakes with our words. At least, I know I have. But these most recent conversations have me thinking about how to do better and how to better help my students see that words can inspire or destroy. That thinking is what I'm considering my principal's homework for the weekend.
Great reminder for all of us, Lisa. Our words define us and we should be mindful of the power of what is said.
ReplyDeleteThanks for this heartfelt post...
Craig
Thanks Craig. I ended up doing some mini lessons with kids around the topic. I think the message was heard.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteOn point! "For whatever is in your heart determines what you say." When the words aren't positive, there are probably deeper problems we as teachers could pinpoint in order to better connect with and redirect the students.
Thank you for sharing.
-Daniel
Daniel, thanks for taking time to leave comment. I love your quote.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
Delete