I am a member of #compelledtribe and this week's assignment for posting is about "something new" we have tried this year to better our work as educators.
Getting better is a marathon of sorts. For me, it's the race that never ends. One way I am trying to improve my work as an educator is through blogging.
When I first began blogging, I did not anticipate the therapeutic release it would give me. There is something cathartic about putting your opinion out there. There. In print. I also underestimated how it could help me celebrate the school family I am part of and continue to be incredibly proud of. I feel a sense of connection each time one of my teachers tell me, "Hey, I read your blog and...". I think my blog gives them a clearer picture of who I am or what I want to become better at.
Putting thoughts to paper and then actually sharing them is scary at first but I've gotten better at believing in what I think and then actually pressing the publish button. It's about branding our work, as many members of my PLN would say. In a time where educators are beaten up by negative press, I am "fighting back" in my own way by sharing my own experiences based on real life reflections. These beat ill-informed assumptions any day.
I've had the opportunity to try many new things this year including collaborative writing with Tony Sinanis, Vicki Day and Jon Harper.
Collaborative posts from this year include:
A Seat at the Table with Vicki Day. In this post, we examine women leadership through our experiences.
No Thank You with Tony Sinanis. In this post, we commit to not giving up on our schools.
Always Say Thank You with Jon Harper and Tony Sinanis. In this post, we give ourselves permission to accept praise and positive feedback.
A Tale of Two Leaders with Jon Harper. In this post, we realized our struggles were similar no matter the distance.
The topic was usually born from a tweet or voxer conversation. Once we had a topic, each post was written through a shared google doc. Their thoughts and edits refined my thinking and brought clarity to what I was seeking on various topics. It became fun to cross post our entries and share our experiences.
Writing collaborative posts allowed me to take my own writing to the next level. It's one thing to share your own opinion. But to be able to combine it with another's perspective, THAT'S where I felt the synergy. I wasn't alone in this thinking. That became the fuel to keep on running even on days when I felt alone in the race and as though I would never catch my second wind.
Getting better is a marathon of sorts. For me, it's the race that never ends. One way I am trying to improve my work as an educator is through blogging.
When I first began blogging, I did not anticipate the therapeutic release it would give me. There is something cathartic about putting your opinion out there. There. In print. I also underestimated how it could help me celebrate the school family I am part of and continue to be incredibly proud of. I feel a sense of connection each time one of my teachers tell me, "Hey, I read your blog and...". I think my blog gives them a clearer picture of who I am or what I want to become better at.
Putting thoughts to paper and then actually sharing them is scary at first but I've gotten better at believing in what I think and then actually pressing the publish button. It's about branding our work, as many members of my PLN would say. In a time where educators are beaten up by negative press, I am "fighting back" in my own way by sharing my own experiences based on real life reflections. These beat ill-informed assumptions any day.
I've had the opportunity to try many new things this year including collaborative writing with Tony Sinanis, Vicki Day and Jon Harper.
Collaborative posts from this year include:
A Seat at the Table with Vicki Day. In this post, we examine women leadership through our experiences.
No Thank You with Tony Sinanis. In this post, we commit to not giving up on our schools.
Always Say Thank You with Jon Harper and Tony Sinanis. In this post, we give ourselves permission to accept praise and positive feedback.
A Tale of Two Leaders with Jon Harper. In this post, we realized our struggles were similar no matter the distance.
The topic was usually born from a tweet or voxer conversation. Once we had a topic, each post was written through a shared google doc. Their thoughts and edits refined my thinking and brought clarity to what I was seeking on various topics. It became fun to cross post our entries and share our experiences.
Writing collaborative posts allowed me to take my own writing to the next level. It's one thing to share your own opinion. But to be able to combine it with another's perspective, THAT'S where I felt the synergy. I wasn't alone in this thinking. That became the fuel to keep on running even on days when I felt alone in the race and as though I would never catch my second wind.
"It never gets easier, you just get stronger"...together.
Great topic! I have done one collaborative post, and just as you said I found it scary just publishing my own thoughts at first. It's fun to try something new and also work with someone to combine ideas!
ReplyDeleteIt sure is...almost as much fun as being a part of #compelledtribe! :) Thanks for the comment.
Delete