Skip to main content

Reflection on State Testing

I went to bed last night thinking about how I really needed to capture all of my thoughts around these last 2 weeks. These last 10 days of school included hours from 6 days where we needed to administer state tests. I've kept up with what I've seen on twitter about testing over these last 2 weeks and have seen little that matches the experience of our school.

Earlier today, one of my teachers bravely posted about her experience in our school. Patti's reflection is a bold one as there are few that are willing to speak against the anti-testing machine. While we may not agree with all of the pieces that are used to make up state testing (we don't!) , the fact of the matter is our school was required to give them. We could have chosen to do this begrudgingly. Or, we could choose this opportunity to show students (and each other) the best way to face adversity.

We did the absolute best we could do to set up a positive environment for those taking the tests. Part of my role during these weeks requires me to monitor halls as classrooms are testing. As I walked around and peeked through glass windows on doors, I saw hard working, persistent, and brave students attacking each day of the test. Many of my homeroom teachers reported the same view. They were impressed by the efforts of students.

I do not pretend to think that my school's results will be enormously better than last year. And, I believe this will be impacted by the number of opt outs we had. Yet, we know we have room to grow and realize that kind of growth doesn't happen in a year. But, what I know to be true is we supported our students as best as we could AND we supported each other as best as we could.

We rallied.


We discussed perseverance.


And then, last night, the students let off some steam at a dance sponsored by the Sophomore class.
This week, our school will get back to our normal routine. Yesterday, I described it as "back to our reguarly scheduled program". Because that's what it is. We'll be back to teaching all things middle school including recovering from mistakes, celebrating strengths, overcoming adversity and academics. Some of those lessons will be formal ones with lesson plans and some will not. However, each opportunity will matter.

Thank you CMS for a job well done these two weeks. We took the path that was right for us.

Two Roads via http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/big-fish/two-roads

Comments

  1. Way to put a positive spin on the testing. The rallying activities are definitely not the norm! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way too late to thank you for the comment. I appreciate your support and thankful we are connected.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...