I have an awful habit of leaving too many to do items on my list for Sundays. There are certain things I "need" to be done each weekend. This includes housework and schoolwork. Usually, a long weekend or vacation gives me time to get ahead of those tasks. Yet, this vacation I did little of both. I abandoned my responsibilities for most of the week as we took an actual family vacation to Tennessee for our Spring Break.
The trip was a good one. As I think about the end of Spring Break nearing, I am excited. Excited? Yes. I am keenly aware of my blessings as an educator. I am able to work in a career that I chose when I was merely 8 years old. It's been a pretty straight line for me in my trek to become an educator. I looked up to educators throughout my school career and was rescued at times by a few of the most amazing ones.
There was the third grade teacher who let me grade papers at recess. There was the sixth grade teacher who shared her love of poetry with me and made me think about the beauty of words. There was the high school English teacher who noticed my work when I felt invisible to most other teachers. Each teacher planting seeds of possibility in me with each interaction.
Some will lament the end of the break and the need to head back to school. Not me. This is our last chance, from now until the end of the year, to get it right for kids. It's our last chance to be that one person that reminds another that she matters, he can do it, and we believe in them.
All of them.
Those whose "accomplishments surpass their own lifetime and survive even into our own. Their story is our story." -- Emperor's Club
Comments
Post a Comment