I don't typically miss a lot of work due to illness. I've been lucky. Today, I woke up with a myriad of symptoms that kept me from going to work. I always feel guilty when I miss work. Yes, I am one of those weird ones. I enjoy my job and feel fortunate to work in a career I decided at age 8 to become a part of.
Over the last couple of weeks, I've become more aware of how precious our health really is. Someone I really admire has been given some difficult (health related) news. She's not someone who would consider me a friend. Yet, I've always looked up to her within our educational circles. What she is dealing with doesn't make sense to me or seem remotely possible.
As I think about how she might be feeling, it makes me wonder and think about the bigger picture in all of this, for all of us. She's an incredibly strong and powerful force whom I know will fight back against this diagnosis with an incredible might.
Her story has me thinking about the kind of person I am ....or being...and what I'm doing.
Are we making the most of all of our days?
Do we take the time for ourselves when we need it?
Are we truly living and loving as deeply as we can?
Are we stuck on big things and missing the little things?
Do the people that matter to us, in fact, know how much?
My plan this weekend is to put a note together to let this amazing woman know I am thinking of her. The note will be just the beginning of my trying to be more mindful of how incredible so many things and people really are...actually, mostly the people.
Over the last couple of weeks, I've become more aware of how precious our health really is. Someone I really admire has been given some difficult (health related) news. She's not someone who would consider me a friend. Yet, I've always looked up to her within our educational circles. What she is dealing with doesn't make sense to me or seem remotely possible.
As I think about how she might be feeling, it makes me wonder and think about the bigger picture in all of this, for all of us. She's an incredibly strong and powerful force whom I know will fight back against this diagnosis with an incredible might.
Her story has me thinking about the kind of person I am ....or being...and what I'm doing.
Are we making the most of all of our days?
Do we take the time for ourselves when we need it?
Are we truly living and loving as deeply as we can?
Are we stuck on big things and missing the little things?
Do the people that matter to us, in fact, know how much?
My plan this weekend is to put a note together to let this amazing woman know I am thinking of her. The note will be just the beginning of my trying to be more mindful of how incredible so many things and people really are...actually, mostly the people.
YES...
ReplyDeleteIt's a challenge to see every day as a gift.... but it is. Your friend's challenge reminds us of this!
Thanks Lisa!!