I often find inspiration for my posts from my school and members of my PLN...especially Peter DeWitt. He recently posed the question: What If You Only Had Five Minutes to Inspire a Teacher?. This post made me think.
These days, inspiration can be a scarce commodity to find.
Especially this time of year and especially in the state of NY.
I spent some time in multiple conversations with teachers this week. Many times it was to talk about instruction. Sometimes, it was to talk about culture, students or just small talk. I'm not sure anything I said inspired them. I did have one honest teacher tell me he thought I was a bit...shall we say...cheesy in some of the stuff I read and share. I took it as a compliment.
In reflecting on inspiration, I began to think of the things THEY do that inspire me. I work with a team of teachers that were never given the opportunity to pick their next principal when the position became vacant. I was just assigned to them. For most relationships, that would be the kiss of death. But, they gave me a chance...lots and lots of chances.
Just the other day I was trying to figure out how long I had been with them. I couldn't remember the exact year. I think some of that is due to the fact we are busy moving forward, improving and maintaining. Here is a listing of some of the things THEY did that inspired me this week.
1) Our school shares a clothing donation closet with the high school. It was a project begun by our Mental Health Counselor, Dawn. It has an array of nice clothing and shoes that any student can access if they need it. I watched many students use that closet this week.
2) Behind a secretary's desk, I saw big quart sized ziploc bags of hotel toiletries. As soon as I saw them, I knew who they were for. That same counselor keeps shelves full of basic health and beauty items for students that want them. All you do is ask.
3) I watched an 8th grade teacher take time with a student to reorganize his binder for ELA class during our PM homeroom. This 8th grade teacher is supposed to be home by PM homeroom (his position is not 1.0) but he wasn't. He rarely is. He found the student and worked with him to get back on track.
4) Next week, we are hosting our PBIS Sledding Event. For students that have not earned a MIR for February into March, they are eligible for an extra period of recess which will include sledding and hot chocolate. In my school, if you ask for donations for an event, they appear. Teacher after teacher brought in boxes of cocoa and other supplies. It's overwhelming how much they give, time and time again.
5) Yesterday, I attended a meeting for our (new) Unified Sports Basketball Team through Special Olympics. The charge is being led by our amazing Coach Haskell. Unified Sports allows students with intellectual disabilities to participate in athletic contests using students without disabilities as partners on their team. We are excited about creating this new program and met with some of our high school students that are willing to help us get this program off the ground. Talking with these high school students about ideas and supporting our special athletes was inspirational. If they are to be our leaders of tomorrow, we are in fine shape.
Maybe in isolation, these events seem small. To me, it's not the enormity of the action but that the action happened. Many small actions create a positive culture and keep our inspiration in check.
Sure, school is about learning, instruction and even behavior. But, the real life lessons are about making a difference and remembering we can all matter....and do.
Our students need us. And, in many ways, we need them right back. That's what inspires me and what I hope inspires my teachers.
In reflecting on inspiration, I began to think of the things THEY do that inspire me. I work with a team of teachers that were never given the opportunity to pick their next principal when the position became vacant. I was just assigned to them. For most relationships, that would be the kiss of death. But, they gave me a chance...lots and lots of chances.
Just the other day I was trying to figure out how long I had been with them. I couldn't remember the exact year. I think some of that is due to the fact we are busy moving forward, improving and maintaining. Here is a listing of some of the things THEY did that inspired me this week.
1) Our school shares a clothing donation closet with the high school. It was a project begun by our Mental Health Counselor, Dawn. It has an array of nice clothing and shoes that any student can access if they need it. I watched many students use that closet this week.
2) Behind a secretary's desk, I saw big quart sized ziploc bags of hotel toiletries. As soon as I saw them, I knew who they were for. That same counselor keeps shelves full of basic health and beauty items for students that want them. All you do is ask.
3) I watched an 8th grade teacher take time with a student to reorganize his binder for ELA class during our PM homeroom. This 8th grade teacher is supposed to be home by PM homeroom (his position is not 1.0) but he wasn't. He rarely is. He found the student and worked with him to get back on track.
4) Next week, we are hosting our PBIS Sledding Event. For students that have not earned a MIR for February into March, they are eligible for an extra period of recess which will include sledding and hot chocolate. In my school, if you ask for donations for an event, they appear. Teacher after teacher brought in boxes of cocoa and other supplies. It's overwhelming how much they give, time and time again.
5) Yesterday, I attended a meeting for our (new) Unified Sports Basketball Team through Special Olympics. The charge is being led by our amazing Coach Haskell. Unified Sports allows students with intellectual disabilities to participate in athletic contests using students without disabilities as partners on their team. We are excited about creating this new program and met with some of our high school students that are willing to help us get this program off the ground. Talking with these high school students about ideas and supporting our special athletes was inspirational. If they are to be our leaders of tomorrow, we are in fine shape.
Maybe in isolation, these events seem small. To me, it's not the enormity of the action but that the action happened. Many small actions create a positive culture and keep our inspiration in check.
Sure, school is about learning, instruction and even behavior. But, the real life lessons are about making a difference and remembering we can all matter....and do.
Never Stop Sharing Clip - a must watch
Our students need us. And, in many ways, we need them right back. That's what inspires me and what I hope inspires my teachers.
So many examples of people going above and beyond. A little extra effort means so much -- to at least one other person. Inspiring ideas!
ReplyDeleteI agree Jen. Little things add up to the biggest ones!
DeleteAlways inspired by what you share, Lisa. Great video on the importance of paying it forward too. We all need to do more of that. Thanks for setting the example.
ReplyDelete- Dennis
Funny how that inspiration thing works. You inspire me, I inspire you. We get what we give. So proud to be connected to you.
DeleteI love how you affirmed Dawn as quite often there is a key support person working behind the scenes to support and facilitate these kindnesses!
ReplyDeleteI love the Q about just five minutes ... it certainly gets the wheels turning ... thank you!
I sought Dawn out yesterday to make sure she read the post based on your comment. Thank you for commenting!
DeleteLisa, I agree with you. This time of year can be stressful, and this year seems particularly so. Our Governor does not understand, let alone appreciate the work of the dedicated individuals in our schools. That's why it is important that we lift each other up, and share the wonderful things that are happening.
ReplyDelete