I worry that some of the hot topics in education are getting confused. It's as if we are throwing everything that anyone has criticized into a box and have decided they all go together. Yes, there are some things that connect to each other but some do not.
I also worry that our children are watching what we post on social media and take our opinions seriously. They see when we bash each other or put down each other's ideas. No, we don't always have to agree. But, we should be able to debate without using name calling or negative language. We're supposed to be the adults, the role models.
I worry that some think state tests are the biggest thing to worry about in our schools right now. They're not. Some of the biggest needs in our school involve social-emotional health of students, poverty, accepting diversity, allowing students to find their voice, and making sure what we teach to our students is relevant and engaging. It's about helping our students, as a dear friend would say, do their "personal best".
I worry about school funding. I worry that I'll be asked to go back to my building budget and find more cuts from places that no longer exist. We've been bare bones for three years now. You can't give what you don't have.
I worry that some of the people making the biggest decisions about our schools rarely visit classrooms to see what is happening. They're missing out on an amazing opportunity! I worry that we are putting kids in the middle of a lot of grown up issues. It doesn't seem fair or sound.
Yet, when I find myself overwhelmed with these worries, I allow myself very little time to think about them. Worry won't move us forward. Only positive, deliberate, and strategic action will get us there...together.
I'll face each worry one at a time.
It's a matter of mindset and clarity.
I also worry that our children are watching what we post on social media and take our opinions seriously. They see when we bash each other or put down each other's ideas. No, we don't always have to agree. But, we should be able to debate without using name calling or negative language. We're supposed to be the adults, the role models.
I worry that some think state tests are the biggest thing to worry about in our schools right now. They're not. Some of the biggest needs in our school involve social-emotional health of students, poverty, accepting diversity, allowing students to find their voice, and making sure what we teach to our students is relevant and engaging. It's about helping our students, as a dear friend would say, do their "personal best".
I worry about school funding. I worry that I'll be asked to go back to my building budget and find more cuts from places that no longer exist. We've been bare bones for three years now. You can't give what you don't have.
I worry that some of the people making the biggest decisions about our schools rarely visit classrooms to see what is happening. They're missing out on an amazing opportunity! I worry that we are putting kids in the middle of a lot of grown up issues. It doesn't seem fair or sound.
Yet, when I find myself overwhelmed with these worries, I allow myself very little time to think about them. Worry won't move us forward. Only positive, deliberate, and strategic action will get us there...together.
I'll face each worry one at a time.
It's a matter of mindset and clarity.
"When you know better, you do better." - Maya Angelou
Lisa,
ReplyDeleteYou are on point! I know most of, if not all, teachers have these worries at one time. Thank you for the encouragement and push for positive interaction and improvement.
Thank you for taking time to leave such a thoughtful comment. I appreciate it and your feedback.
Delete