If you work in a school, you don't need me to tell you about the extraordinary efforts of teachers and support staff to help all students. For those of us in the schools, our stories are similar. Yet, I am not so sure many outside of our walls know the extent of what is done. We do a poor job of telling our own stories sometimes.
My friend, Christina Luce, wrote an open letter to Governor Cuomo about her classroom. I appreciated the openness of her post. There was no angry tone or cheap shots taken within it. I took it as a sincere offer to see, up close and personal, what happens in her classroom.
As I reflect on just this past week, I can recall specific actions by incredible people to help students that extends beyond what others not in our schools might expect.
These are just a sampling:
1) A teaching assistant who volunteers his time after school to mentor a young man in need of support.
2) A math teacher who spends days after school preparing her students for a Math Counts competition. Same teacher accompanies group on a Saturday field trip to nearby college campus.
3) The counselor who helps student after student discreetly visit our donation closet of clothing and shoes all free for the taking. Need shampoo or deodorant? She has that too.
4) The school secretaries who help console a young man who has misplaced something of value to him and is worried about telling his parents.
5) The PE teacher whom serves as a role model to so many young men and hosts open after school weightlifting program for any that are interested.
6) The teachers that give up their contractual lunch time, pretty much every day, to meet with students and keep them on track. They do it all without complaint and fan fare.
7) The teachers who take time to send a postcard home to students to celebrate something good from the week or marking period.
8) The custodian who always makes time during the student lunch session to talk with the young man about his prized coin collection.
9) The nurse who provides an ear to so many and reminds many of them that it does indeed get better.
This is the stuff that never makes the papers. These are the acts that don't get measured by teacher observation, state tests, or growth scores. These snippets from our school will be joined by other acts of kindness and courage this week. It's "just" what we do despite the political forces that question or ignore our efforts. Thankfully, we know better than to give into any of that negativity while we work with our students. In many ways, it's our survival mode.
We are in two different battles at the same time right now.
We have the (outside) battle (with some) that schools are failing and we are simply not giving our best. We have the other battle within our schools to support each other and our students as best as we can, each and every day.
The outside battle, I fear, is one where I may not make much of a difference. It's demoralizing to hear much of what is being said right now outside of our schools. I'm pretty sure few outside my district really care what I think about much of this. If they did, they might, as Christina suggests in her post, come visit.
The inside battle...now that's where my efforts are most needed. It's imperative that I stand with my staff to celebrate the work we are doing and for all of us to continue to support each other.
Kids first.
Politics second.
My friend, Christina Luce, wrote an open letter to Governor Cuomo about her classroom. I appreciated the openness of her post. There was no angry tone or cheap shots taken within it. I took it as a sincere offer to see, up close and personal, what happens in her classroom.
As I reflect on just this past week, I can recall specific actions by incredible people to help students that extends beyond what others not in our schools might expect.
These are just a sampling:
1) A teaching assistant who volunteers his time after school to mentor a young man in need of support.
2) A math teacher who spends days after school preparing her students for a Math Counts competition. Same teacher accompanies group on a Saturday field trip to nearby college campus.
3) The counselor who helps student after student discreetly visit our donation closet of clothing and shoes all free for the taking. Need shampoo or deodorant? She has that too.
4) The school secretaries who help console a young man who has misplaced something of value to him and is worried about telling his parents.
5) The PE teacher whom serves as a role model to so many young men and hosts open after school weightlifting program for any that are interested.
6) The teachers that give up their contractual lunch time, pretty much every day, to meet with students and keep them on track. They do it all without complaint and fan fare.
7) The teachers who take time to send a postcard home to students to celebrate something good from the week or marking period.
8) The custodian who always makes time during the student lunch session to talk with the young man about his prized coin collection.
9) The nurse who provides an ear to so many and reminds many of them that it does indeed get better.
This is the stuff that never makes the papers. These are the acts that don't get measured by teacher observation, state tests, or growth scores. These snippets from our school will be joined by other acts of kindness and courage this week. It's "just" what we do despite the political forces that question or ignore our efforts. Thankfully, we know better than to give into any of that negativity while we work with our students. In many ways, it's our survival mode.
We are in two different battles at the same time right now.
We have the (outside) battle (with some) that schools are failing and we are simply not giving our best. We have the other battle within our schools to support each other and our students as best as we can, each and every day.
The outside battle, I fear, is one where I may not make much of a difference. It's demoralizing to hear much of what is being said right now outside of our schools. I'm pretty sure few outside my district really care what I think about much of this. If they did, they might, as Christina suggests in her post, come visit.
The inside battle...now that's where my efforts are most needed. It's imperative that I stand with my staff to celebrate the work we are doing and for all of us to continue to support each other.
Kids first.
Politics second.
Taylor Mali, What Do Teachers Make?
Comments
Post a Comment