Earlier this week, I participated in a Principal's Academy discussion about APPR and teacher-administrator conversations surrounding it. One of the scenarios we debated was how to respond as a leader when a teacher is feeling like he/she might not be able to reach a particular student. The theme of our discussion was perseverance.
In our building, my team knows our direction. I am nearly 100% positive that they know it is expected we will work very hard to reach EVERY student. They talk weekly at grade level meetings about students. We've been at the IST (Instructional Support Team) meetings asking some tough questions when needed. We've brainstormed interventions and creative solutions. Each student may not achieve at the level that we hope (or need them to ---yet) but we celebrate small improvements and keep pushing along.
Yet, it's not just students we have to reach. It's our parents and families too. I'm a huge fan of using social media in our school. However, I know that an online presence brings some disadvantages. Sometimes I become more aware of how a parent is feeling about our school because of social media. They might post something and that leads to comments which sometimes leads to hurt feelings. I've also been on the receiving end of an angry phone call from a parent.
While I expect teachers to reach all of our students, I also expect myself (as principal) to reach our families. I can do this in proactive ways by using twitter and facebook to brand my school better. I can also use good old fashioned phone calls and notes home to send positive messages. When I am faced with the occasional tough call or meeting, I wonder if there is more I can do as a leader to reach out, move forward, and assist.
Student success in school is significantly enhanced when a positive home-school relationship exists. If anyone thinks bashing a child's school will improve a child's attitude or performance in school, they are wrong. Lessons aren't just taught by teachers and they don't just happen during the instructional day.
I won't be successful on every occasion. But, that doesn't give me permission to quit trying.
We are simply not allowed to give up on anyone, each other or ourselves.
In our building, my team knows our direction. I am nearly 100% positive that they know it is expected we will work very hard to reach EVERY student. They talk weekly at grade level meetings about students. We've been at the IST (Instructional Support Team) meetings asking some tough questions when needed. We've brainstormed interventions and creative solutions. Each student may not achieve at the level that we hope (or need them to ---yet) but we celebrate small improvements and keep pushing along.
Yet, it's not just students we have to reach. It's our parents and families too. I'm a huge fan of using social media in our school. However, I know that an online presence brings some disadvantages. Sometimes I become more aware of how a parent is feeling about our school because of social media. They might post something and that leads to comments which sometimes leads to hurt feelings. I've also been on the receiving end of an angry phone call from a parent.
While I expect teachers to reach all of our students, I also expect myself (as principal) to reach our families. I can do this in proactive ways by using twitter and facebook to brand my school better. I can also use good old fashioned phone calls and notes home to send positive messages. When I am faced with the occasional tough call or meeting, I wonder if there is more I can do as a leader to reach out, move forward, and assist.
Student success in school is significantly enhanced when a positive home-school relationship exists. If anyone thinks bashing a child's school will improve a child's attitude or performance in school, they are wrong. Lessons aren't just taught by teachers and they don't just happen during the instructional day.
While adults may not always agree, our responsibilities to all of our children remain the same. Connections and relationships between stakeholders aren't something you simply give up on or walk away from. There are times when connections must be redefined but likely not abandoned.
I won't be successful on every occasion. But, that doesn't give me permission to quit trying.
We are simply not allowed to give up on anyone, each other or ourselves.
"Storms make trees take deeper roots." - Dolly Parton
Thank you for posting this. Your careful choice of words lets me know that you are with us..in the trenches. Means a lot.
ReplyDeleteMaggie, Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. It's always a risk putting feelings into a post but the reassurance that is gained from realizing we are not alone can't be measured. We are truly all in this together.
DeleteNice post Lisa! Well stated surrounding the power of relationships and continuing to build them. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteHey Brenda, so nice of you to take the time to comment! I appreciate it and learn so much from our collaborations.
Delete