Change is rarely easy.
We get comfortable with what we know and what we are doing. When you're younger and planning a career, you imagine embarking on the path you've outlined in your mind. My entire professional career to date has been connected to special education. I began as a special education teacher, moved to a special education coordinator position and then to a district level position supervising special education (and many other areas). For the last three years, I have been the Special Education Director and Middle School Principal. However, this will change for me this week.
We get comfortable with what we know and what we are doing. When you're younger and planning a career, you imagine embarking on the path you've outlined in your mind. My entire professional career to date has been connected to special education. I began as a special education teacher, moved to a special education coordinator position and then to a district level position supervising special education (and many other areas). For the last three years, I have been the Special Education Director and Middle School Principal. However, this will change for me this week.
http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/01/07/70/1077046_d3f400d2.jpg
It has been incredibly difficult to wear two hats at the same time. I know many (especially in small schools) can relate. Our amazing school district recently created a separate Director of Special Education position and she begins tomorrow. We are so fortunate to have someone of her expertise and heart on staff. I am sincerely looking forward to it. This change is a win-win for all of the stakeholders in our district: students, staff, families, outside providers, etc. Special education requires substantial attention and oversight. This position will allow our district to do provide that.
This will be a change of hats for me but I won't be leaving our district. I still have the privilege of wearing the Middle School Principal hat.
In a career, it's not uncommon to seek change. Some change positions or locations. Some seek a new challenge. Each step brings you closer to the next destination. Way back when I first entered special education administration, I never thought I'd be even remotely interested in serving as a Middle School Principal. (You know what they say about Middle School !?!) It's funny how taking a different path can teach you so much about yourself, your skill set and others.
While I feel some sadness for letting go the part of my career that I have invested so much time in, I am equally excited about expanding what I can do as a Principal. I'm looking forward to the possibility of the future while looking back with deep fondness for the past.
"...there's still time for you.
Time to buy and time to choose
...there's never a wish better than this
When you only got a hundred years to live"
--Five For Fighting

Congratulations!!! You have done a great job with both jobs but deserve the chance to focus on being a principal.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your kind comment. I appreciate it!
DeleteBest of luck Lisa!! We are all better because of your leadership and example!
ReplyDeleteDon, thanks for taking time the read. Thanks to our voxer group, we are all indeed better because of each other. That's one smart room we have!
DeleteAll the best,
L