No matter which hat we are wearing, I think most (if not all of us) are a work in progress. There are days where I am able to balance all of the roles I wear very well. I can juggle Mom, Principal, Special Ed Director, Wife, Aunt, Daughter, Sister and Friend better than others. These are few and far between. Most days, there isn't a balance. I should likely be embarrassed to admit that. But, I think there's some demystifying we would all benefit from if we only we shared our thoughts more.
For the last few weeks, I've been overwhelmed with professional responsibilities that have impacted my ability to be a better Mom. Through a series of events over the last week, it became clear to me that my compass was misaligned. It needed adjustment.
I needed to find a way to catch up with my son without being distracted by technology, housework, laundry, Christmas decorating or schoolwork. Last Thursday, I decided we would head out on the weekend, just us, on a very short road trip for an overnight away. He loves road trips and throw in a hotel with an indoor pool and you've planned the perfect excursion. (We've never been to Disney, can you tell?)
We left our home early Saturday morning to embark on our short road trip. Over the last 24 hours, we've swam (three times already!), talked, crafted, read our books, watched TV, and just hung out together without the distractions being home might have had.
It seems silly to have to drive away from home to be able to reconnect but it worked for us. I am thankful to hotwire for an incredible deal on this room and thankful for a son who reminds me what role is most important. I'm just another mom accepting that she is a work in progress much like her son.
For the last few weeks, I've been overwhelmed with professional responsibilities that have impacted my ability to be a better Mom. Through a series of events over the last week, it became clear to me that my compass was misaligned. It needed adjustment.
I needed to find a way to catch up with my son without being distracted by technology, housework, laundry, Christmas decorating or schoolwork. Last Thursday, I decided we would head out on the weekend, just us, on a very short road trip for an overnight away. He loves road trips and throw in a hotel with an indoor pool and you've planned the perfect excursion. (We've never been to Disney, can you tell?)
We left our home early Saturday morning to embark on our short road trip. Over the last 24 hours, we've swam (three times already!), talked, crafted, read our books, watched TV, and just hung out together without the distractions being home might have had.
It seems silly to have to drive away from home to be able to reconnect but it worked for us. I am thankful to hotwire for an incredible deal on this room and thankful for a son who reminds me what role is most important. I'm just another mom accepting that she is a work in progress much like her son.
Lisa, your post hits home in so many ways! Kudos to you for not only recognizing the need to spend time away with your son but also for doing something about it. I'm sure he loved it, and it will also give you the re-charge that you need going into the end of the year.
ReplyDeleteJennifer, It was time well spent. Paperwork has waited for me. :) Thank you for taking the time to comment.
DeleteLisa -
ReplyDeleteThank you for your thoughts, and your writing of this post. Your story helps me see my own chaos and gives me the motivation to slow down and check the pulse of my world.
I am grateful you had such an amazing experience with this impromptu excursion.
You are my inspiration to do the same!
Craig
Hi Craig, I can't wait to hear about your excursion. Just promise you'll reflect on it. I think the more we share our experiences, the more we learn from each other.
Delete