One of my favorite things to do is sit in classrooms and observe. I love watching teachers who are masters at their craft. I love watching students tackle learning tasks. I especially love talking to them about their learning. Whether it's a formal observation, required walk through or a brief (unofficial) visit, I like to sit among the students and start asking questions and listening.
Why do we need to learn this?
What do you think about this?
Do you prefer to do this or this?
How do you feel about your work?
Students are great about making space for the obnoxious principal among their groups. They are usually very willing to share their work and answer my nagging questions. I am always amazed by how open students are.
The toughest question is usually the WHY one. Why do you need to learn this? That one usually stops and make students think. Sometimes students will respond with a deeper response than I could have formulated. Once in a while, students will be honest and let me know if they don't know that reason -- yet. It gives me an opportunity to ask more questions.
After visiting some classes recently, I've had students sharing their work in google with me and even stopping me in the hall to tell me about how a lesson ended recently or their use of technology.
"You know, kids these days really prefer using technology. We like our devices, Mrs. Meade. It's easier for us to do the work this way. It's what we know."
These snippets remind me that the most powerful work I can ever do is sit and work among my students and teachers. Here's to working swiftly through the compliance tasks that can weigh us down so that we can work deeply and more frequently within the areas that matter most in our schools --- classrooms.

Comments
Post a Comment