Our Middle School is one of the few, I think, that still have a 20 minute recess period. Students can choose from a variety of recess options: Active Recess (gym or playground), Quiet Recess (library), Computer Lab, and Student Lounge. When the weather is nice, recess is fun and provides many options for kids. When the weather is poor (Hello, North Country winter!), active recess in the gym can accommodate fewer kids. This usually means more kids end up in Quiet Recess. Something about those two words (quiet and recess) being put together doesn't sit well with our 8th graders.
There are still some logistics to be worked out moving forward. We are hoping to plan a GHO with some other twitter connections to get insider information about Minecraft EDU and next steps needed there.
BUT, the beauty in this "project" is that it has been student driven.
Our kids have been working on this during their available time because it is meaningful to them. They've seen a purpose for the project and want a say in how they use their recess time. We have hopefully given them a glimpse into what having an idea and attaching it to a voice feels like.
Have you opened up Minecraft in your school? We'd love to hear about it!
A copy of our students' presentation can be seen at:
Headed by the 8th grade team leader, Mrs. Siano, they proposed being allowed to use Minecraft on poor weather days as a recess option. I know just a little bit about Minecraft but was intrigued and wanted to support it.
I tried to get the site opened but was met with many valid questions from our tech team. The preliminary approval was given but the request for more information (the details) was still needed. I asked Mrs. Siano for more information that we could give to our Superintendent. She reached out to her PLN.
I tried to get the site opened but was met with many valid questions from our tech team. The preliminary approval was given but the request for more information (the details) was still needed. I asked Mrs. Siano for more information that we could give to our Superintendent. She reached out to her PLN.
@E_Sheninger @LisaMeade23 @Minecraft Minecraft club during recess...how to convince tech team that there is value??
— Patti Siano (@PurplePatti09) November 30, 2014
@PurplePatti09 Get the students to develop a proposal and rationale for the club to present to them @LisaMeade23 @Minecraft
— Eric Sheninger (@E_Sheninger) November 30, 2014
The students worked on a google presentation to share with the tech team in hopes that their proposal would be considered.
#CorinthMSPBIS
@E_Sheninger @LisaMeade23 Ss working in Google preparing their case for Minecraft to be opened! pic.twitter.com/vTxyVPwPWU
— Patti Siano (@PurplePatti09) December 3, 2014
@LisaMeade23 @E_Sheninger I am learning so much about Minecraft as they prepare the presentation in Google! pic.twitter.com/MuIeUjWjT0
— Patti Siano (@PurplePatti09) December 3, 2014
There are still some logistics to be worked out moving forward. We are hoping to plan a GHO with some other twitter connections to get insider information about Minecraft EDU and next steps needed there.
BUT, the beauty in this "project" is that it has been student driven.
Our kids have been working on this during their available time because it is meaningful to them. They've seen a purpose for the project and want a say in how they use their recess time. We have hopefully given them a glimpse into what having an idea and attaching it to a voice feels like.
Have you opened up Minecraft in your school? We'd love to hear about it!
A copy of our students' presentation can be seen at:
I teach grade 4 and 5. I want to start a Minecraft club and this is a great idea. It just occurred to me a few days ago that I'd have to get it allowed by my board.
ReplyDeleteIn my opinion it's one of the greatest educational games ever. Especially if working on with "red dust" which is basically working with circuits. I'm this requires immense planning and logic.
I'm going to get students working on a project like this!