Skip to main content

Advertising Christmas

Last week, I was talking about the upcoming holiday with a dear colleague of mine. We were sharing parts of our stories about staff and students and the spike in stress we were seeing in some of them. We talked about how this particular break has a lot connected to it. There's the idea of Christmas but then there's the reality of Christmas. My friend and cyber-big brother, Tim Dawkins,  published an incredibly well written post earlier this week about the same idea. The reality of this holiday is it is difficult for many. There are real life stressors in many of our lives that can be exacerbated by the idea of the perfect holiday. 

Tim wrote,

This is a difficult time of year for so many of our students. They are bombarded with the picturesque visions of what a family is supposed to be, what new toy or gadget they are supposed to have sitting under a perfectly decorated tree, or what family gatherings are supposed to look like knowing that this just isn’t their reality. Few things sting more for our students than a sense of loss, and that loss is not always black and white. 

I agree that this time of year is very difficult for some our students. I also worry it is difficult for some of our staff...some of us. 

I worry that we spend more time advertising Christmas than practicing Christmas. We advertise Christmas by putting up a tree, decorating the house, making sure we have presents for friends and family, buying Christmas cards (that I still never get out on time), and even baking cookies. Yet, advertising Christmas isn't all we should be doing. We practice Christmas by honoring our faith (in whatever ways mean most to our families and traditions), supporting others in need, surprising unexpecting people with tokens of love, moving past disagreements with family and friends, and forgiving ourselves for not doing better.

Practicing Christmas will mean it won't be perfect yet we won't expect it to be. I'm challenging myself to accept that and celebrate all that is still good or can be good, nonetheless.

Comments

  1. Moving past the superficial is definitely needed, especially this time of year. Thanks for the post, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel, thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and to read. I agree moving past the superficial is needed but hard this time of year. I am trying to make deliberate choice to do just that. Enjoy your holidays.

      Delete
    2. Kudos on making deliberate choices! It is through them that one can overcome their difficulties. ;)

      Delete
  2. Hi Lisa,

    When I think about the 1st Christmas, it had none of the perfect trappings but it was nonetheless perfect in its meaning. Thanks for the reminder to practice that spirit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy, exactly. I wish I would have included that idea in this post. Thank you for reading and the kind comment.

      Delete
  3. Great Christmastime post, Lisa. I absolutely agree that we need to practise and enact our unique Christmases, not construct the cookie-cutter or Instagram versions. Meaningfulness is key, whatever that is, not shinily packaged perfection.

    I've also recently reflected on Christmas http://theeduflaneuse.wordpress.com/2014/12/22/christmas-presence-not-presents/ and also the beauty of imperfection: http://theeduflaneuse.wordpress.com/2014/12/17/imperfect-perfection/

    Here's to finding our own meaning in our own ways.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

Shelf Life

I was getting teased by a friend about how long I had been working in my current position. "How long have you been there?" "Four years as Principal but 10 years in the district." "You do realize you've overstayed your welcome." "What?!" "Your shelf life. Most administrators only have 5-7 years in each position. You've passed that." That conversation was intended to be light hearted but it had me thinking hours later. We know that one of the most critical educational influences in a child's performance is an awesome teacher. But, right after that, we usually hear about the need for solid leadership. At the NASSP Principals' Institute, the suggestion was shared that principals might even share the top spot with teachers in determining success. The argument was great principals hire great teachers...they need each other. I still believe teachers make the most direct difference but I am aware of how interdependent bo...

Gram

I am a member of the #compelledtribe. We are a blogging group that supports each other and writes in response to posted topics every so often. This week's topic is: Share a story about someone who loved you when you didn't expect it, earn it, or either deserve it. One of my biggest regrets in life is that my grandmother may not have fully known the impact she has had on me. I had the privilege of living next door to her for nearly 5 years. There were rituals she made me do with her. We watched ice skating every Sunday. We watched Wheel of Fortune most nights. On weekends, she sent me around town to different stores, by foot, with a shopping list for deals at each of them (based on the flyers). I had an odd fashion sense then and she was never afraid to tell me if I looked awful. My gram was the lady with the lavender sweater, lavender slacks, and lavender pumps. She matched. I sported a more Boy George inspired look that she never really understood or appreciated.  G...