Skip to main content

A Shared Responsibility

Thanksgiving break has given me more down time than I usually have. Much of it has been spent with my son. He's 12 and from all accounts -- especially his account -- doesn't need his mom's advice nearly as much as he used to. In talking with one of my dearest friends about my son and his moodiness, she reminded me some of this could be related to his age.

What? No way.

But then I remembered, yes way. He's 12. He's in middle school. Some of this could be adolescence.

There are days he is convinced nothing good is happening.
Then there are other days he is extremely grateful.
There are hours where he needs an enormous amount of attention.
Then there are other hours where he can become engulfed in a project.

I try to remember what being his age was like and recall parts of past conversations.

"Don't do this because..."
"You'll have trouble with this because..."
"No one likes you."
"You don't have what the other kids have."
"You're not very smart".

Some of those past conversations were with adults in my life. Some of the conversations were with myself. I should be embarrassed to admit that but I'm not. I include it here as a way of relating, I hope, to what my son is going through.

When we talk, I try to share how far off I was with meeting (everyone else's) expectations. If you believe in any preconceived notion about poverty or fatherless daughters, then you might have predicted (way back then) I might never meet my goals of becoming an educator.

I can recall meeting with my high school guidance counselor and telling him I wanted to go to college to become a teacher. I had never met my guidance counselor before but it was my junior year, I think, and someone was requiring him to meet with all of the students. He barely looked up from my transcript and told me that wasn't likely. He didn't see me as a teacher.

It's funny now to recall that memory. But, it wasn't funny then. It was painful. Some 29 years later and I can recall that interaction -- a piece of it.

I guess that's why I find myself up early on a Saturday morning thinking about my son, his journey and adolescence in general. I think as parents we walk a fine line supporting our children but also letting them begin to grow wings. Sometimes growing wings includes making mistakes. Some of them over and over.

Like other students his age, he reads into interactions with all of the adults in his life and can name only a few he trusts. I push him to explain how one earns trust from him.

"They accept me, Mom. You can see it in their eyes, the way they look at me."

No amount of reasoning on my part gets him past that explanation and it crushes me. In my quiet thoughts this morning, I realize how these eyes (of many others) will become his memories. I am also aware that he has more people in his corner than he admitted to but getting him to see them will be a process. I'm thankful for the supportive teachers and adults waiting patiently in his corner to be noticed (by him). I know they are there and am grateful for their patience.

I begin to think about all of the kids in my own little world that need us to support them through this tumultuous time. When our students look back on us -- when our children look back on our work -- I want them to recall phrases and faces of love, support, and forgiveness. We can't pretend to know which part of our memories our students and children will recall as snippets of the past. But, we can work harder and more deliberately to help them feel loved, accepted, supported, forgiven and noticed.

It's a shared responsibility like no other.

Comments

  1. Dear Lisa,
    I so appreciate this, as a father, a teacher, and a middle school principal. Your son sounds perceptive, sensitive, and while, vulnerable (like all adolescents), he sounds resilient. And while he may not see or feel it just yet, the power of his mother's influence shaping who he is, and is teaching him valuable lessons about what it means to be a leader for others. These qualities, in combination, don't always make sense when we are 12, but they make a difference for others when we are adults.

    Keep writing - your honest reflections are moving.

    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dennis, Your comment is very thoughtful and is very much appreciated. I think our students (and children) learn many life lessons during the middle school times and we can only hope to support them as best as we can.

      Delete
  2. Great post! As an educator and parent of a 12 year old daughter it really hit home. Keep up the great work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a relief to know that my experience is not all that different from other parents navigating this busy time of change in our children. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. It is very much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post Lisa! Thank you for sharing. Working everyday with students in the middle, I truly appreciate this story and the reminder of our influence.
    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure I learn more from them and amazing folks like you then others do from me. I'm the lucky one.

      Delete
  4. For some reason, Dennis "What If" post is stuck in my head and I find myself wanting to use that phrase here as well. What if we made a point to show our students they matter through tone and body language? What if we put on our middle school lenses more often as educators and let it guide our interactions with students?

    As a mom, I want that for my kids to know that they have adults in their corner ready to guide them but who also accept them. They'll need those adults in addition to their friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Dennis' post! I agree with you Joy. So many answers are all around us if we just look for them.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...