Skip to main content

Raising the Bar

I have had one of those weeks where obstacle after obstacle presented itself. The feedback I was receiving wasn't necessarily positive. Some of it was personal and I admit I had a hard time seeing beyond it for a bit. I reached out to some people I trust to process through the experiences. Some of this happened face to face and some of it happened online and even via voxer.

I'll admit right before I clicked the walkie talkie button in the voxer app, I hesitated about admitting what I was thinking. To myself, I thought "This kind of stuff never happens to these other guys. I just know it". I assumed what I was working through was something each of them had already mastered.   I assumed what I was working through was akin to my skills (or lack of skills) as a principal. But, that's not what happened. What I learned was completely different.

I learned that principals share similar experiences. I learned that many members of my PLN were alike in how we reflected on our roles and responsibilities. I learned how human each of us really is. I learned how real administrators lead with the heart. I learned that while many, outside of our roles and fields, might consider that a weakness, it wasn't. Leading with the heart is ten times harder than leading with your mind. We have our stories and struggles to prove it.

Near the end of this week, I had the privilege of attending a conference and was fortunate to sit in on a session led by Don Gately and his wife, Danielle Gately.

Don is one of those principals I have been following on twitter and continue to be mesmerized by his approach and ideas at the middle level. He and his wife spoke about the power of being connected and he said something like:

It's about raising the bar.

I've been to at least four other connected leader sessions (even led a few of them myself) but hadn't put it into words just like that. It is about raising the bar. When I make a deliberate choice to interact with members of my PLN, online and in person, I am doing that knowing the possibility of improvement and inspiration will be there. You can not be a connected educator and still remain the same. The interactions change you. The interactions will lift you up when needed. Other times, the interactions will stretch your thinking and understanding of a topic. They may even inform or change an opinion.

Becoming a connected educator has significantly impacted the kind of leader I am today. On some days, that is a good thing. On other days, some may think that is a not so good thing. Either way, these connections affirm for me that the work we are doing is THAT important.

These connections teach me that we are more alike than different. These connections challenge me to see all sides of a situation and move forward from it.

If you work in a school, it really is about raising the bar. Whether it is in improved student-teacher interactions, parent communications, or overall academic achievement, we really aren't permitted to just get by. Nor should we ever be. 

We teach and support kids.
We teach and support each other.

In each of these interactions, at the simplest of levels, our challenge is always to raise the bar. And when we can't fathom even touching the bar, it's about raising each other up to see the possibilities.

"You raise me up so I can stand on mountains.
You raise me up to walk on stormy seas.
I am strong when I am on your shoulders.
You raise me up to more than I can be."
[R. Lovland, B. Graham, J. Groban]

Comments

  1. Great post Lisa! So glad that your PLN was there for you when it was rough going! I think that those members of ones PLN that are there through good times and bad times really exemplify the "connected educator" as well as being genuinely awesome humans!

    I enjoyed Donald and Danielle's presentation as well. I thought that their strength was that instead of the traditional transmission model found in most conference presentations, they sought the strengths of the audience to bolster and compliment their already extensive knowledge on being connected.

    I was so happy to finally meet you and share a meal yesterday at the conference. You are inspirational to me and I've learned a ton from you- on Twitter and now in person! I only hope to reciprocate and that if you are having a bad day, I'd be honored to share some sun light!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Jasper!
      So great to "hear" from you. I meant it when I said meeting you was such a highlight. I also meant it when I said I wish you taught in my school. I agree on the strengths of Don & Danielle's session. It was so open and all heart. Nothing scripted. You could tell they believed in their topic. Reminded me of your session as well. Honored to have you in this PLN. Thanks for the reading, the comment, the time together at lunch, and for the inspiration.
      All the best, L

      Delete
  2. Lisa this is great! I too, often wonder, is anyone else having the same struggles I am? And then I am able to connect with folks like you and Donald and I am comforted. Connections are what it is all about and our PLN is amazing. This was a really wonderful piece because, as always, you are honest and open and it helps the rest of us be the same. Keep being awesome and thanks for always being there to lift me up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jon! So kind of you to post a comment. I hope you know what a valued member of my PLN you are. I was nervous about being so honest here so am glad others can relate.

      Delete
  3. Lisa, you have put into words what I have been trying to convey since become a connected educator. I went through some really tough times at a previous school, and at the time I wasn't connected with an online PLN. At the time, I thought something was wrong with me or that I was the only one going through certain situations. I have since learned A LOT about myself and that I'm not alone. I have learned so much from other people since making connections. I'm so glad to have you a part of my PLN and the #compelledtribe. You help me to raise the bar!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, I really appreciate the honesty of your comment. I think there is this myth that administrators can't feel knocked down..we are somehow less than human. I have since learned it is how we stand back up, with our PLN helping to steady us, that really matters. Of all the posts you could read today, I am honored you read and commented on mine. Thank you. #compelledtribe

      Delete
  4. Lisa, the first three paragraphs could have come directly out of my mouth. I've grown, been challenged, and reflected as a result of my connections. I'm also glad to be part of your PLN and appreciate how you support my learning and growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I could not be more thankful to be connected to you....the power of voxer :)

      Delete
  5. While I'm not a principal, I agree wholeheartedly with you post. I think isolation serves to make us doubt and question ourselves; however, since I've become connected I've been more comfortable within my skin. It's changed my entire perspective in many ways through validation and growth. I enjoyed reading this post very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy,
      YES! I agree. Becoming connected has had a significant impact on me and my practice. So much more growth in less time. Thanks for taking time to read and comment. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Something about March

Our work in school leadership can often come in waves. Some days you are happily swimming to shore while other days you might feel as though it is taking all of your energy to stay above the water.  The latter is often what March feels like.  There is something about March that has always felt like a difficult month for me, at least personally, as an educator. Maybe it's the impact of a long winter, access to less sunshine, or the absence of any scheduled downtime in the month. It's also the point where we are able to look back on a school year and see how much we have accomplished but at the same turn how much there is still to do.  But, the difference is the proverbial finish line that June brings. We all know, whether we like it or not, what we planned or were even assigned to accomplish this year is now connected to an imaginary stopwatch that is counting down that time. We can see the end to the year and that can be stressful.  What about all the things still le...

Growth Mindset

This will be a quick post likely full of errors and incomplete sentences. But, I feel a pressing need to get these thoughts to paper while: a) I have time  and b) I can still remember the pieces I want to connect I was given a great opportunity to work with Dr. Shawn Hunziker today. We've conducted some online book studies around Mindset by Carol Dweck. This past winter, we were invited to give a keynote to CSE Chairpersons ( BIG TIME for us) and that led to today's session with CNYSEA's Summer Institute .  On my way to the session, I was rehearsing notes (as I always do, see previous post ). At a stop sign near the venue where the conference was held, I pulled up in back of a car and noticed the neatest license plate: NEVRQT* I think that's how it was spelled. I tried to grab a picture but realized how creepy that would look and did not reshoot the blurry image I captured. When I arrived at the conference, I immediately told my partner, Sh...

My one word: Courage

I am part of an amazing voxer group of MS Principals and Jay Posick became a recent member of that group. Talk about a man with the right mindset. Recently, he posted a link about a one word challenge and it got me thinking. I've been struggling with the idea of a "new year" and the (self-imposed) push to set some resolutions. I don't like the idea of setting resolutions. They feel too artificial for me. Maybe that's because I've failed at them before. But, what I can commit and buy into is this idea of one word . I think my word is COURAGE.  It's funny when I typed out that sentence, I couldn't get around the phrase "I think". The way I crafted that sentence speaks to why I have chosen the word courage to help guide me in this new year. I need courage to continue to take risks and nurture creative ideas. I need courage to finally do some things I have been postponing (some for just 30 years or so) and set to accomplishing them or...