Earlier this year, Eric Sheninger spoke in my district. It wasn't the usual opening day talk -- listen, go, do, and change nothing. I think his keynote helped plant seeds within many staff to see technology more purposefully and to face some unfounded fears related to digital leadership. We've been moving full steam ahead since his visit. During his keynote, he mentioned his #edscape event. I casually made note of it thinking I would likely never go. But hey, it sure sounded nice.
Fast forward two months.
In talking with a trusted colleague of mine, and someone who has recently embarked on using social media more in her work (with eyes wide open I might add!), she said she'd go if I wanted to go. That's pretty much all I needed to hear. I can now say I am one of many that have made the trip to #edscape! Chris Casal wrote about his experience at the event yesterday and said it much better than I can hope to do here. It was definitely a trip to Geekville, as he put it. (Geekville is a good thing!)
While I learned much more than I anticipated at yesterday's event, I left feeling inspired. On the long car ride home and into last night, I recalled Josh Stumpenhorst's challenge to the opening audience:
I also walked away with a deeper appreciation for the people I am fortunate to call PLN Members. It can be nerve wracking to meet so many people whom you only know from online (sounds really weird, I know). A PLN is made up of the people you go to for inspiration, reflection and maybe even a little teasing (you know who you are).
It was affirming for me and my own practice to make time for conversations about our schools and work, where we could. Some of the best time spent was talking to Eric Sheninger , Starr Sackstein, and Ross Cooper. I also had the opportunity to at least say hi, in person, to Eric Nenthrup and Brad Currie. It was neat to put a "person" to the tweets!
My thanks to #edscape for a day of wonderful, purposeful learning.
My thanks to PLN members for a day of laughs and reflection.
Until next time...
Fast forward two months.
In talking with a trusted colleague of mine, and someone who has recently embarked on using social media more in her work (with eyes wide open I might add!), she said she'd go if I wanted to go. That's pretty much all I needed to hear. I can now say I am one of many that have made the trip to #edscape! Chris Casal wrote about his experience at the event yesterday and said it much better than I can hope to do here. It was definitely a trip to Geekville, as he put it. (Geekville is a good thing!)
While I learned much more than I anticipated at yesterday's event, I left feeling inspired. On the long car ride home and into last night, I recalled Josh Stumpenhorst's challenge to the opening audience:
Complain about the boxes or build something with them #edscape
— Lisa M (@LisaMeade23) October 18, 2014
He also said:
Do something new or something you've always done @stumpteacher #edscape
— Lisa M (@LisaMeade23) October 18, 2014
Both statements help articulate, for me, what I have been trying to do over the last year or so since becoming a connected administrator. Both statements actually help frame the reason I attended #edscape yesterday. I learned nearly 25 new ideas (someone warn my staff). From google presentations with Jeff Bradbury, to how to better use SAMR model with Courtney Pepe, and even to better branding my school with Chris Casal, I walked away from yesterday with ideas I will use immediately.I also walked away with a deeper appreciation for the people I am fortunate to call PLN Members. It can be nerve wracking to meet so many people whom you only know from online (sounds really weird, I know). A PLN is made up of the people you go to for inspiration, reflection and maybe even a little teasing (you know who you are).
It was affirming for me and my own practice to make time for conversations about our schools and work, where we could. Some of the best time spent was talking to Eric Sheninger , Starr Sackstein, and Ross Cooper. I also had the opportunity to at least say hi, in person, to Eric Nenthrup and Brad Currie. It was neat to put a "person" to the tweets!
Find the people that can help you get better and connect with them via @stumpteacher #edscape
— Eric Sheninger (@E_Sheninger) October 18, 2014
My thanks to #edscape for a day of wonderful, purposeful learning.
My thanks to PLN members for a day of laughs and reflection.
Until next time...
Great post, Lisa. I really enjoyed the day too and meeting you in person. It's crazy to me how similar our experiences are no matter where we're from. I truly do enjoy going to these conferences for the opportunity to connect with people who support me and help make me grow. Thanks for being one of those people.
ReplyDeleteHey Starr, thanks for the comment and great conversation yesterday. The more I meet and talk with others, the more I learn about myself. I really enjoyed meeting you.
DeleteLisa I wish I could just retire and attend conferences all the time. Every one I read about or follow sounds so incredible. You are such a great leader and inspiration for your staff! You walk the walk and your staff knows it! Good for you getting staff to attend with you. I'm looking forward to next week and like you always feel a bit of nervousness. But then again I imagine it is good for us to experience what our students go through every day. Great piece!
ReplyDeleteI get nervous about meeting many people but I am not nervous about meeting you. I already know how cool you are thanks to voxer. Thanks for the comment. :) Can't wait to see what next weekend brings!
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete