About a month ago, my colleague Tim Dawkins, suggested putting together a voxer group of middle school principals in NY. The thought was we would have a place to go and ask each other questions. Tim had the vision for us to use voxer to create the group.
When we first began, I had NO idea what kind of impact it would have on me as a leader. I am not sure I can put into words what this group has provided me. It's been nothing short of incredible.
I have realized a few key ideas by being involved in this very group:
1) I am not alone. The questions and even struggles I have as a leader are similar to what my peers are facing. Even in Missouri! (we've opened the group beyond NY).
2) The impact these conversations have had on my practice has already been significant. I am improving in some areas already due to the feedback and ideas I have gleaned from others.
3) The structure of this voxer group provides me with short bursts of PD when I am ready for it. There is no driving or leaving the office to attend a workshop. That walkie-talkie holds plenty of answers and ideas already. All I need to do is listen in!
4) Leading in the middle grades presents some very specific challenges and rewards. It's affirming to work through those in our conversations, as middle leaders, together.
So, here's my very public and very genuine thanks to the members of this group for always being there.
If you're a MS Principal and would like to join this incredible group, reach out to Tim Dawkins. When he's done picking on me for something, he'll likely add you.
When we first began, I had NO idea what kind of impact it would have on me as a leader. I am not sure I can put into words what this group has provided me. It's been nothing short of incredible.
I have realized a few key ideas by being involved in this very group:
1) I am not alone. The questions and even struggles I have as a leader are similar to what my peers are facing. Even in Missouri! (we've opened the group beyond NY).
2) The impact these conversations have had on my practice has already been significant. I am improving in some areas already due to the feedback and ideas I have gleaned from others.
3) The structure of this voxer group provides me with short bursts of PD when I am ready for it. There is no driving or leaving the office to attend a workshop. That walkie-talkie holds plenty of answers and ideas already. All I need to do is listen in!
4) Leading in the middle grades presents some very specific challenges and rewards. It's affirming to work through those in our conversations, as middle leaders, together.
So, here's my very public and very genuine thanks to the members of this group for always being there.
If you're a MS Principal and would like to join this incredible group, reach out to Tim Dawkins. When he's done picking on me for something, he'll likely add you.

I recently started a Voxer group for female administrators, and I love it! It's great to connect with others who understand each other's struggles, successes, and situations. It's also PD on the go!
ReplyDeleteOk, I want in on that one if you have room!
Delete