One of my main pieces of advice to someone going through a tough time is, "It has to get better". Sometimes, we fall down so that we can be reminded what it feels like to stand back up. School leadership has its ups and downs. The majority of the time being a school administrator is an awesome job -- a privilege to serve. Some of the time, something significant challenges our mindset. It is during that time that we learn some of our most useful lessons. This is where the rubber meets the road. THIS is when real leadership is needed.
The longer I am in administration, the less I think I know.
BUT, the longer I am in administration, the more connections I have made. Those connections sometimes help with solutions. Sometimes, they just help by sending gentle reminders.
In reflecting on the last week or so, I realize that none of the jobs in our schools are any less stressful or important than others. We all have our ups and downs and times when our real skills are put to the test. What we have to maintain during those ups and downs is an appreciation for each other's work and a steadfast hold on choosing positive over negative.
It's pretty easy to criticize.
It's harder to empathize, offer a hand to help, or give someone the benefit of the doubt.
Yet, choosing positive is always the right choice.
What we have to believe, in our toughest times, is that we can do this work. This is the work we were called to do. So even when it's tough to remember, believe it (all) anyway.
Sometimes, we feel doubted by others.
Maybe we even feel criticized.
Maybe we even feel criticized.
But then, we reach out to a colleague or two and brainstorm solutions.
The longer I am in administration, the less I think I know.
BUT, the longer I am in administration, the more connections I have made. Those connections sometimes help with solutions. Sometimes, they just help by sending gentle reminders.
@LisaMeade23 @TechNinjaTodd @GustafsonBrad @MicheleCorbat @DJrSchug @ScottCapro @donald_gately @Tim_Dawks pic.twitter.com/1xn7eCAoN4
— Jon Harper (@Jonharper70bd) September 21, 2014
In reflecting on the last week or so, I realize that none of the jobs in our schools are any less stressful or important than others. We all have our ups and downs and times when our real skills are put to the test. What we have to maintain during those ups and downs is an appreciation for each other's work and a steadfast hold on choosing positive over negative.
It's pretty easy to criticize.
It's harder to empathize, offer a hand to help, or give someone the benefit of the doubt.
Yet, choosing positive is always the right choice.
What we have to believe, in our toughest times, is that we can do this work. This is the work we were called to do. So even when it's tough to remember, believe it (all) anyway.
Note: I've used this song before in blog posts. Sorry for the repost. But, it is one of those songs that has become my go to song for inspiration.
Great post. As an administrator, I try to never lose sight of the fact that the most important influencers are the teachers. It's important that they know I have confidence and faith in them. I'm always learning from teachers and students, but I have so much more to learn from them.
ReplyDeleteReed, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Such a thoughtful reminder of our responsibility to support our teachers.
DeleteI agree completely. The environment is always better when we choose the positive - assume the best in others - take time to listen, learn, and walk together. Your staff is lucky to have you.
ReplyDeleteHi Amy,I hope they feel 1/2 as lucky as I feel to have them. Thank you so much for reading and commenting. It means a lot to know others can related.
DeleteGreat post Lisa! Your reminders are needed and your dedication to your writing has helped you grow many times over. Stay grounded, rely on what you know is best and stay connected!
ReplyDeleteCraig
#compelledtribe
hi Craig! I blame my increased posting on #compelledtribe. It's a pretty powerful feeling knowing I am part of something bigger and positive. Thank you for being that.
DeleteHappy to have stumbled upon ur blog!
ReplyDeletethanks so much for giving it a look. This post really means something to me.
Delete